Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew My Sub?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 87BrnRsd, Nov 29, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I am running two alpine type r 12's in my K5. Yesterday, I had the radio turned up pretty loud listening to a song. The subs were hitting very hard but sounded extremely clear. The subs were not distorted in sound at all and neither were the speakers. I turned the truck off then went back about an hour later to drive across town. I noticed immediately that at a somewhat high but below my normal operating lever of sound, that one of the subs sounded like it was blown. I got out to check it out and I realized that the cone on one of the subs had separated from the foam ring around it. Electronically, the sub is fine. It still works, it just sounds like crap if you turn it up. Can this be re-glued at an audio shop, or will I just have to buy another sub? It looks like the adhesive holding the foam ring to the cone wasnt strong enough and it just separated. Neither the cone or the foam ring is damaged. Its no big deal if I need to buy another sub, Im just trying to see all of my options. Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've hot glued lots of subs and played good as new.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

yes a "quality" shop can redo the surround, I know custom sound works here in lubbock rebuilds the Digital Design subs frequently, but it's a bit of a different shop. find one the competes hard core and you will probably have some luck. Check on ebay at the price of another sub before hand so you'll have a comparison to go by. if it's too much sometimes it's just easier to replace the sub.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

*High Jack mode on* Digital Design aka DD's are nice subs. *High Jack mode off*

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've hot glued lots of subs and played good as new.

[/ QUOTE ]
    John, I think thats probably what im going to do. If i get some type of good glue, I dont really see how it could mess it up. Ill try that and if it doesnt work, which it should, I will just buy another type r off ebay.
    -Harrison

6. clarkjw24

I've even glue the back side around the coil on some. Your hearing a flapping when the speaker hits. If it don't work and you buy another just send me the old one I'll pay for shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I learned to take chances and try about anything when I was into comp and paying $500 to $1000 for a sub /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Those days are gone but we all still like to rock. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. barryb

barryb Registered Member

how old are these subs/?

8. clarkjw24

I'm talking early 90s comp. I ran the chit out of fosgate punches (a real sub). Still got one of those kick ass 12s, hits like a biatch. I once blew 3 15s on the way to a comp. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Running the same set up in my Sub, 60IX mid 90s 15s. i have a 200 Tran, but just have 10g power! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm talking early 90s comp. I ran the chit out of fosgate punches (a real sub). Still got one of those kick ass 12s, hits like a biatch. I once blew 3 15s on the way to a comp. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your hearing a flapping when the speaker hits.........Those days are gone but we all still like to rock. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, thats exactly what it sounds like. The subs still sound perfect but the left one makes the flapping sound when it hits really hard. And yes, we doo al like to rock. And very loud I might add. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    -Harrison