Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blew out a rear: any suggestins

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Black89k5, Mar 21, 2000.

1. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

I just blew my 10-bolt in the back and looking to goto to 3/4 ton rears. In the back i think im gonna find a 14-bolt. But im unsure of what to put up front. Any suggestions would be great.

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

What gear ratio are you running? I have a 3.73 corp 14 bolt FF. You have a couple of choices up front, 10 bolt, dana 44 and dana 60. Dana 60 is most expensive and 10 bolt is weakest. So I would go for the 44. If you are interested in my axles let me know

Zack Carlson

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear! GOT HER STARTED MARCH 20TH!!!!

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

IF you dont want to change the front, or buy new rims and tires, you could find a semi floating 14 bolt with a six lug pattern, (Light duty 3/4 ton), depending on what truck you pull it from, it could be bolt-in, the semi float 14 is a helluva lot stronger than the 10 bolt. It may be the way to go if you decide the full floater is overkill.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The ff 14 bolt is 200 lbs. heavier and hangs down 2" lower, requires 8 lugs rims and converting the front axle to 8 lug or a new front axle. The stock front 10-bolt is very comparable in strength to a Dana 44 and can be converted to 8 lug rather easily.
    When you say "blew out", I'm guessing that the factory carrier (differential) failed, and that it was probably the factory posi (Gov-Lok). If you have at least a half way sane driving style, tire size, and engine, rebuilding the 10-bolt with good aftermarket parts will give you a reliable rearend. Check out the 10-bolt beef series at www.4x4review.com.
    Another alternative is a 12-bolt, which should basically bolt in. This gives you a slightly larger gears and carrier but the axle shafts are the same as the current 10-bolt (I'm assuming your K5 is an '89...), and a properly beefed 10-bolt is just as strong, if not stronger, then a 12-bolt.