Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blew the 10 bolt rear -pics added

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daimok, Jan 24, 2003.

1. daimok

daimok Registered Member

1983 k5

been hearing a clunck somewhere in the rear when i would put it in reverse , went to tow a stuck car and the rear pumpkin puked its guts out the cover. of course its a 10 bolt. what does a used 10 bolt go for from the junkyard ? what would be the options for getting a 12 or 14 bolt to swap in with no mods ?
    its a daily driver so gotta get the wheels turning soon.

thanks in advance
    daimok

I added pics of what was left when i pulled the pumpkin cover. This broke from daily driving , it let go right after i put it in drive.

diff 1

diff 2

What do I tell the junk yard i want for years and model if i am going to go 14sf ? ( 3/4 ton 4wd ?)From the replies i have seen , i want to go the 14 bolt route , want to keep the 6 lug brakes and not modify the perches. I dont mind doing the ujoint conversion.

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Re: blew the 10 bolt rear

if you are lucky you can find an 8 lug semi floatin rearend for about 150-200 that'll bolt in no mod except u-joint. you may elect to find a 6 lug which will require u-joint and spring perches moved, but not new wheels. OR go get a 14ff and never ever break another rear again. it'll require moved perches, and new wheels, but i believe your 10 bolt yoke will fin on it. as for 12 bolts, i say stay away from them, but they will bolt right up.

where in north carolina are you, we should wheel sometime.

3. daimok

daimok Registered Member

I am in raleigh NC if anyone knows where i can get a replacement axle from a yocal. if not guess its time to call the yard.

4. BowtieRed

yocal?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Allright, let me try and clear some things up...Some of the info above is misleading:
    Option 1) buy another replacement 10 bolt rear. Make sure you get the same gearing, stay away from the gov-lock. Shouldn't be more than $100 - there's a lot of them. Will bolt right in, no mods required. Will work with the wheels you already have.
    Option 2) buy a 12 bolt....same as option 1, yet a little stronger (some will disagree because something in the diff is actually smaller than in the 10 bolt and prone to break) Will need a conversion u-joint.
    Option 3) buy a semi-floating 14 bolt. This will have the same 6 lug bolt pattern, although some did come in 8, so watch out. Again, get matching gears with the front/existing axle. Shouldn't need any mods to bolt in. Maybe conversion u-joint.
    Option 4) STRONGEST/BEST option. buy a 14 bolt FF. Get it from a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck...will bolt right in. Get matching gears. Shy away from the gov-lock. You'll need to buy 8 lug wheels to go with it though. And, you'll need a conversion u-joint. If you buy one from a 1 ton truck, you'll need the spring perches moved out. If you buy it from a 2wd truck, you'll need the shock mounts rotated up 2 inches or so. 14 bolt FF should be $150-200 depending on condition/how badly you want it.

Hope that helps.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the club. I am a 2 time member and have been a member since 1999. If I were you I would only consider 2 options.

1. 12 bolt with same gearing as your front axle.
    2. 14 bolt Full Floater. (the route i took)(can be found easily with 3.73 & 4.10 gears and possibly as a matching combo of front and rear axle. This will require new rims or the spacer to convert it from 8-6 lug.

I went the 3/4 ton route and got the 14bff just to be done with possible rearend breakage. If I break a 14bff I am doing something very unholy and definitly deserve it.

If you don't plan on large tires 35+" then a good used 12 bolt would be just fine. I have seen some good hard wheeling with 12 bolt's & 35" tires.

7. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

don't say "never ever break another rear again" about the 14ff... i'm on my second /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif............. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. BowtieRed

You pretty much said the same things as i did. You are right, maybe some of my information was misleading, but none was wrong.

And to the last guy- HOW THE HECK DID YOU BREAK IT WITH 35"s!?!?!?!?!?!

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id say go for another 10 or 12 bolt, keep it 6 lug unless you need 8 lugs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

DANT DANT DANT, another one bites the dust. GOV LOCS SUCK A$$ /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. i think we should all mail them to one person with a welder and free time and see how big of a sculpture we can make out of em.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That's impressive destruction! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I think we may have a contender for zcarczar's title of most wasted 10-bolt! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. daimok

daimok Registered Member

looks like i will have some axles for someone if i get the 14 bolt , going to call the yard monday

daimok

Here is a pic of my ride
    No Fear

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Defently go with a 14 Bolt FF !!!!!! You can get 8 to 6 lug adaptor.

14. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

Where can you get the adapter andhow much does it cost?

15. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

After I blew mine, I tried to get a bolt in 10 bolt but the only place I found out here sold only 14bolts /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gifOK but then it had 4.56s odarn time to get new gears /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. then I priced the gears installation and 8 lug rims with 8lug roters it was cheaper(over here atleast) to get a D60 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif HEE HEE so now I have a 1 ton sub for under 1500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif just a suggestion