Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew the front CV twice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Heard some banging noise on the trail and found I blew my front Saginaw CV for the second time. The middle part of the CV separated but the u-joints stayed together. Time for another trip to my local driveshaft shop but I was just wondering what I should do so this won't happen again. I'm thinking of going with a front 1350 CV, u-joints and shaft.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

2. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I don't think that they make a 1350 CV or at least 2 years ago they didn't. I believe that the biggest they make is 1330 size. I did here that maybe the SuperDuty Ford truck might have a 1350 CV joint but never looked into it. Let use now what you find out.

Donovan

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

There IS a 1350-sized CV joint that Ford is using on not only superdutys, but also the 1/2 tons and light 3/4 tons. For rear shafts, no less. I know that you have an SM465 and a NP205, which is what I have/had (pre-doubler). This is the shortest possible front DS length on any GM truck. I had a normal CV joint (saginaw) type made for mine. I couldn't even get the shaft on! It wouldn't droop enough to fit the u-joint on the front axle yoke. There are some tabs that can be ground off w/o weakening the joint, but you have to take it all apart. Coincidentally, this is what made my mind up for a doubler, an extra 14" of front driveshaft fixes this problem better than anything else I could find! Well my point is, check the droop on the CV joint, because it isn't enough if you didn't grind on it.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. Shawn

High Angle Driveline in CA offers the 1350 CV shafts but they're a little pricey. The saganaw already had the tabs grounded off.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

High Angle Driveline may seem pricey, but if you take into consideration that they have to machine an adapter flange that runs in the rear seal to fit the 1350 CV, it actually isn't that bad. I have been emailing Jesse at High Angle about my 78K5, and he is a great guy to deal with. I haven't actually talked with Jesse about my front shaft, because I haven't had a problem yet. But if I do, he will be the one I talk to. He knows about K5s because he has one that he put a 64 Chevy pickup body on. His email is forwhlr@saber.net for anyone that is interested in a truly bulletproof driveline.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I think I remember why I could not use the 1350 CV and it was they didn't at the time make a 2" tube with a 1350 CV and the CV was just new out. So can they make a 1350 CV in a 2" tube now or is it going to be a 3" tube or larger? Thanks for the information.

Donovan

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Jesse can upgrade the entire setup to one ton specs, including the rear u-joint on 1/2 ton rearends. Click on the attachment to see a pic of Jesse's Blazer with the upgraded rear shaft.

Jeff427

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Jeff what engine does he have in it and I bet that he has not had a problem yet? Also I sent you the pictures of the Caddy in my blazer today. If you didn't get them let me know.

Donovan

9. Shawn

Thanks for the info Jeff. Didn't mean to imply that High Angle Driveline was expensive but I was referring to the parts. Any other driveline shop would probably charge more. I've been talking to Jesse in the past 2 months about doing a 1350 CV on the rear which I'll probably be ordering this week. I'd really like to do the front at the same time but my damm headers hit the driveshaft so I'll have to take care of that first. Another brand of headers or shorties will have to be installed soon. Jesse also offers some trick 80 degree CV shafts for those extreme angle problems.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Shawn

Try Tom Woods at http://www.4XShaft.com. His prices may be cheaper and he can do anything with a driveshaft! Depdog also went with him and I know I can't stop praising him up.

Let us know how you make out becuse I was looking to get 1350 front/1410 rear u-joint shafts made but I don't think the 1410 is available in a CV shaft. (probably overkill too!)

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Donovan, I believe Jesse told me he has a 355 in it. He hasn't had any problems with the driveline. He told me that since he upgraded it, his ring and pinion are now the weak point, because he is still running the 12 bolt in the rear. Here is a pic of the truck (click the attachment). Yes I got the pics Donovan, thanks a lot, they will really help with the 472 installation.

Shawn, I have some pics of vehicles Jesse has done some work on, if your interested, I can email them to you. He really does great work.

Jeff427

12. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

13. Shawn

Yeah, I may have to go with those. How much space is there between the headers and shackles? How much between the driveshaft? I have ORD front shackles which are thicker and now closer to the headers. If you don't mind taking a picture, I'd really appreciate it.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]