Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew the headgasket in the Dodge this weekend.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by therobzilla, Oct 7, 2004.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Going to be replacing the headgasket this weekend in the Dodge, looking for some Cummins Guru's for some support if I need it. Going to do the job myself, as Cummins/Dodge want's over $1,500.00 for the job.

Got he headgasket R&R kit and new headbolts from Cummins. Have all the parts, just need some experience with this repair. The books make it sound not so bad, but you know how that goes.

Does anyone locally have any experienc with this repair? Sure could use some local experience on this one.

Points, tips????

Doug Wright, I got the parts from Cummins, smoking deal, including the new headbolts.

PS: The blowout was very minor, exterior coolant passage, on the passenger side, very common on these trucks.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, sorry to hear about that.

Strangely enough, even with the fueling box and other tweaks, my limp aluminum heads are still sealed... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Wasn't it you that said something about wanting a Cummins (or rather not liking the DMax) in part because you didn't trust the heads? Either way, sorry to hear about the troubles and good luck.

3. therobzilla

Actually I never said anything about heads, must have been someone else. I really don't know anything about the heads etc... But then again???

Keep in mind my Dodge had 130K on it. The factory headgasket has some issues with the thickness near the #1 Cyl. I'm not complaining, hell I paid way less than a brand new Duramax, and can pull my 20K combined weight like it's not back there.

Let's see how the Duramax does at 130K miles on the ticker and needs to pull 20K up the Verde Valley Hill on the other side of Flagstaff. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Overall, Im exteremly impressed with the overall power/ability of my Dodge. The parts are going to cost me 160 w/ new head bolts to change the headgasket.

Thanks,
    Rob

4. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Let's see how the Duramax does at 130K miles on the ticker and needs to pull 20K up the Verde Valley Hill on the other side of Flagstaff. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know how a 6.2 with a banks at 160K miles on her would do /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

My silly humble comment from the yellow turtle side of things

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you get stuck let me know. I am going to be on your side of town sunday anyway.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Rob....inside your head set is a head bolt length gauge...if they are not streched...take them back and save some money.

DW

7. therobzilla

Doug,

That's the plan, did not want to start the project and not have replacement bolts. Figured I would bring them back if I did not need them.

Rob

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Smart move, I hate finding out half way through that I need something else. But it sounds like the price is cheap enough that it's likely not worth the time/fuel to return the bolts. What do those monsters torque to anyway?