Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew the TC, but is the tranny still good??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Dec 8, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

as u prolly have read, i lost my tc. but, would my tranny still b good if i just flushed it really well?? the torque converter just let go, so technically the tranny should still b good. or should i take it apart and rebuild just to b sure?? o yea, where do i start to take it apart and see if it i do need to rebuild?? do i take off the valve body, or unbolt the bolts on the front pump go from there?? thanx. btw, it is a th350

NITRO

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depends. Usually when a TC goes, it spews fine metal shaving throughout the tranny. Those pieces can get caught in the clutpacks/steels, seals, and as happened in my case...the valve body (caused it to eventually not want to shift out of 1st gear).
    You might get lucky, but if not, it could be a bigger headache and even more $$$ than doing it right the first time (plus you will have peace of mind)..
    I would say pull the tranny and rebuild it (or have it rebuilt). If the converter blew, chances are other parts are pretty worn too.

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Pull the pan on the tranny, and check the fluid and pan region VERY WELL for metal shavings. It probably wouldn't hurt while you have the pan off to unbolt the valvebody and slide a few of the valves out of it and check in all of the little passages and nooks and crannys in the valvebody for signs of metal shavings. Clean it very good, and if you haven't seen any metal hanging out in there it would probably be safe to just replace the TC. If you wanted to, you could pull the front pump (will usually need to replace the seal) and pull out that first set of clutch packs and check them for metal too.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would have it checked out. The TC went in a 700r4 we had in an 88 conversion van. When we took it in to find out what was wrong, they said the TC went and scattered shaving thorughout the rest of the tranny. The only thing that was re-useable was the Case.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

That SUX! Thats one thing I didn't want to mess with, rebuilding the tranny. I took it to transdrive in lafayette and got a warrenty! It was a good job, shift kit and vet internals for the 700r4 made it nice and shifty.
    I'm getting about 14's- Low15's MPG on the highway now!

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey jermiah, ur gonna go muddin with us sometime as soon as i find out what the damn noise is comin from my tranny...kinda sounds like somethin is hittin the dust cover, so i took it off but it still does it. im outta ideas. o yea, it only does it when your gettin on it
    /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    NITRO

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

They have me on some ODD hours this week since the second shift guy is on vacation, maybe Saturday if thats the day you end up going. I'll ride along and take some pics, I may end up plowing to much mud with the plow on! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    NO IDEAS on the tranny noises, thats one area I know nodda about! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Later
    J

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

now its throwin sparks, so it may b in the gf's garage on sat. but ill call ya and let ya know

NITRO