Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blew up 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Apr 16, 2002.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, I've been worried about the TCC and TV stuff on my 700 but last night on the way home heard a bad clunk and greind till the motor died. Finally pulled home in the blazzard last night and puleed the inspection cover and peices behind the torque converter and tranny fell out and chuncks. Dad got the tranny out while I was at work this AM and the torque converter is broke and the front cover of the tranny. He is gonna take it to a shop about if need to replace input shaft etc. For some reason in the back of my head I think a torque converter froma TH350 fits a 700R4, am I correct in this? Thanks for all the tranny helps guys!!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't think that is correct. I'm pretty sure 700's used two different input shaft spline counts (early/later) and the fact that the 700 is lockup, and only the th350C is lockup, would cause problems as well. I wouldn't be surprised if an early 700 and 350C converter are interchangeable, but I don't believe any "standard" TH350 converter will fit a lockup 700 (they can be converted to non lockup)

3. MNorby

ok, thanks for confirming that. I took it to a shop and they are going to put a new pump and front cover and torque converter on it for $200 then another $200 to rebuilt the np208 since I blew up low range some time ago

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Well welcome to I broke my 700r4 club don’t feel too honored we have many members but I hope you have some good luck with your repair /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. MNorby

I'm honored to be in the club. This is my 3rd time though. Two years ago it totally fried so I got it rebuilt and updated to the 88 (?) standards. Then about 6 months afte that the pump blew up but I got that fixed under warranty. Not the TC and pump blew up again. I'm on a roll baby