Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew up my 10 bolt yesterday

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sickquad, Sep 18, 2004.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Yup, like the title says, blew up my rearend. It was great. Lots of evil gear noises and jumping around of the rear wheels.

I have a junk 12 bolt with 6 lug pattern. Is that still a half ton axle? The gears in it definitely look bigger than my 10 bolt.

My main question is if there are any good write ups around anywhere about setting up gears? I have an indicator, but I have never done it before.

-Chris

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Way to answer your own question. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

welcome to the 10 bolt club, mine blew up monday, very fun!!! it ate 4 teeth, see my post "broke teeth" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have a 12 bolt six lug axle in the woods next to my shop,from a 73 K10,with 3.08 gears,housing is very rusty and one shock mount rotted off,backing plates rusty,but the gears looked good about a year ago when I took the cover off,truck had 68,000 miles when I parted it out.Any use to you??--its going to the scrapyard soon,along with the front end and frame,and many other parts from my 74 K20 I'm going to scrap soon--The K20 has a 14SF with 4.10 gears and a 10 bolt front,8 lug,and a 72 205 transfer case,TH350 tranny ,has no reverse,going to clean out the yard for winter(and probably drag some other junk home to take its place! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)--let me know if you want any of this stuff,its got to go soon--if I wasnt sick with the flu today,I'd probably be cutting it up right now. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif