Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BLEW UP THE DAILY DRIVER!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Philly87, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Well I blew up the 350 again and with the new crate motor must come new exhaust. A friend of mine has a set of 3rd generation Camaro headers on his K5 and they look great. The only problem is he had to bend one of the header tubes on the passenger side so that it would clear the frame. He didn't have to bend it much, but I would hate to take a dead blow hammer to a brand new set of headers. My question is, what shorty headers will work on an 87 K5 without emissions stuff? Any pics would be great. Thanks in advance.

Philip

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm ready to put a set of Doug Thorly headers in, I'm going to cut my frame where the header will hit. The main muffler guy in town (he puts alot of D.T. headers in) said he would cut the frame back about 1/4" inch where the header would hit it. He said not enough to do any harm to the frame. Cause if you bang the header around it might mess the header up.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Hedman, hooker, thorley, and JBA all make some good bolt in headers, and if emissions are not neccessary then you can get them at a pretty reasonable price.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Hooker Competition headers are my favorites. And they're inexpensive.

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Hooker makes a good set, and u can get them almost anywhere. Something abouth cutting into the frame would scare me....just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

You don't cut into the frame, you just notch it out about 1/4" to clear the pipe. The frames are very thick so 1/4" won't do anything to it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

I got the holley flowtech headers from autozone for a 100 bucks, fit perfect no cutting or bending! I would suggest getting some 1200 deg bbq paint and spray'em b4 install. ceramics coated were like 170 or so.