Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bling bling h1's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Mar 7, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

here is one of my bling bling H1's :D

DSCN0728.JPG

2. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I see you got carryed away with that chrome spray paint!!:D:D

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Looks nice and clean :thumb:

4. muddybuddy

i fooled you!:haha:

that was after 45min with the sander wheel on the drill:eek1: i got quotes to strip them down, they wanted $55 per wheel, so i decided id rather spend $14 per wheel (about 2 sand wheels) and 45min-1hr per wheel to clean them myself. so far ive done 2 of those,but havent touched the other part of the wheels yet. still havent decided what im going to paint them yet.

that military paint is tough chit!

5. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Clear coat them and be happy:D:D:D:D

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Try aircraft paint stripper first?

7. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    $55?!?! 45 min-1 hr?!?! that sucks. lol. i paid some guy $100 to sandblast all four wheels, my 52" springs, spring brackets, and spring plates......but you're saving a lot of cash doing it yourself anyway.

8. muddybuddy

yea price around here are crazy! this was a big place that specializes, i woulda thought they would be cheaper, but i guess not. they said they would do the outer part for $25-30 each, which seems tempting til i add up that its $125:eek1: for 5 for less than 1/2 the rim. :doah:

9. txfiremank5

I hear ya, buddy.

I blasted a little on one of mine. I didn't get too far before it rained and I had to stop. But, the little I did, told me the 125.00 to have them chem stripped and soda blasted was a good enough deal for me. :D

Looks like you're making good progress on them though. keep up the good work. :thumb: The extra work will be worth it when you're done and the paint sticks much better, and has a better finish over all.

10. muddybuddy

yea i keep telling myself it will be worth it, plus it always feels good once its done to realized that you saved a bunch of money. i think the reason i havent caved in yet is because im just doing 1 a day, so just when it gets old i stop for the day and do something else :)

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

make sure you wear a respirator
    that paint is really bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    really really bad

12. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

X2 on the really bad for you part. You're further along than I am on mine. Half of mine are still sitting in the tires. It is a work out getting them taken apart with nothing but hand tools :doah: I'm just putting along with my little projects that I have goin' on, following ya'lls lead. But I do think that I will be wire brushing mine myself, and then attempting to blast them at work in our big walk in blaster (if it's working at the time:rolleyes: ). Looks good man. Remember, a penny saved is a penny earned. Looks to me you earned the hell out of all those pennies:D

13. txfiremank5

I hear that.

I on the other hand, know when to fight, and when to run... LOL. The only problem to cutting some corners and taking the easy way is, .. it usually leads to another easy route. In my case, I didn't want to get them all fugged up again.. after they were stripped, so I chose to pay 30 a wheel to get them powder coated. :doh: Worst part is, it's all for a set of wheels that will probably ride like a$$ on the road. LOL. But, I'll get 'em balanced as best I can and call it good.

14. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I have been talking to the wife about getting mine done where you got yours done. But I think what you did with the powder coating fits into the "You got to give a little to get a little" category :D

15. muddybuddy

i thought about gettin them powder coated, but then i remembered that im going to beat the poop out of them on the trail, and i would be very pissed if i messed up the paint after paying $45 each (x5) to get them powdercoated. in theory, it sounds sweet! (at least thats what i tell myself so i dont do it :) )

i hear ya on the tools, i do everything oldschool as well, what a pita. so much for "work smart not hard:haha:"

16. littlejimmythatcould

Nothing like manual labor to build your character. Some of the guys at work make fun of my busted knuckles (which makes me mad and proud at the same time), but then wonder why they are not picked for certain things that require hard work (and sometimes big recognition).
    My dad once told me "You can't work your fingers to the bone without bleeding a little", he had all kinds of sayings like that.
    It is up to you if you want to get them powder coated. You saw txfireman's wheels though, serious bling :eek1: But to each his own. I have never had anything powder coated, but maybe if you weigh the cost of touch up to the length of time that powder coating is supposed to last, maybe you might want to/ or not. I would like to have it done, since I have never had anything powder coated, just to see for myself (ya live, ya learn kind of thing). I can always touch them up with rattle can and when they get way messed up, rattle can the whole wheel, but still have powder coat protection on the wheel. But we will also see what the mighty budget has in store for the future.... :dunno:

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Looking good I just noticed the 12 bolts dont say for military use only on them:thinking: . I still need to find me 5 H1s for my rig:( .

Ira