Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bling bling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 2, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I wanted to show you guys these valve covers when they were on the engine...but that wasn't going to be soon.

So I snapped some pics on the dining room table after I polished 'em up.

Any idea what they are worth? Paid 50 bucks for them 2 yrs ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't care much for the bling factor...but those are worth their weight in gold for eliminating valve cover leaks. The increased rigidity helps not squeeze out part of the gasket. I could not get my tin covers to be leak free with any gaskets...then i got some cast aluminum ones and problem was solved.

Rene

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd say about what you paid for them unless you found someone a little nostalgic for the old school M/T stuff.

One issue you may not of thought off..... where does your oil go? I suspect those were used when the Small Blocks still had the oil fill in front of the intake manifold.

Looks like you will have to pull the PCV to slowly add fluid...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

In the picture that has both of them shown, the bottom one has a hole on the left, covered with a metal plate held in with 2 little screws. If I want to fill it that way I think I just unscrew the plate and put the breather back on.

Rene, not much for the bling factor either, but I liked these ones better than the ones I have in the Jimmy right now, and I wanted to clean all the oil off before I put them on, so thats how they turned out.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

they're cool Steve... i have quite a few sets for big blocks..

50 is about right for sb.. 40 or less is a good deal... i used to buy em up at the swapmeets if i saw em for 40 or less...

i run a modded set on the Chevelle... an easy mod that makes em look good and tones down the bling effect is to paint em, then mill off the paint on the top edges with a longboard sander.. looks trick...

thats what i used to do with the used ones i got, glassbead em, paint em chevy orange mill and polish the tops and resell em at the next swapmeet. 90 for sb's, 120 for bb's.. people ate them up, always gone the first day..

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that sounds like an awesome idea. Although I don't know if I could paint them...then I would have to paint the whole engine for it to look good :haha:

8. ryoken

i've done it that way too.... :D

but i like the clean edge and dead flatness you get from milling em.. they just seemed to come out better.. with an air longboard it only takes a couple minutes.. but yeah, by hand would suck... ;)

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a set of those... were on my fathers 57 chevy... gonna get the adapter to allow those on the newer vortec heads... once I get the heads... stupid adapter is like $65!!!!

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Got any better pics of it than this....??

[​IMG]

I like what I can see of it.... :thumb:

11. ryoken

haha.. forgot that one was in there.. :o thanks for the :waytogo: , even being blurry.. :wink1:

yeah, i do have more, in photos, but my scanner is dead... think thats actually a digi shot of a photo that my buddy wanted me to e-mail em....

i need to clean out the garage this weekend anyway.. right now the car is covered in boxes, etc.. i'll have to take some digi's..

12. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

same 1's

a buddy of mine had aset of those that were solid no holes, he cleaned them up and did the orange with the polished top. he had them on his 66 nova II. then he did some changes and needed the tall valve covers, he pulled the m/t's off and sold them for $150, then used the money to buy a set of completly smooth cast tall covers, spent about 6 hrs and several different grits and finally jewlers rouge polishing them like a mirror. then he cleared them to keep the shine and in my opinion the motor looked better with the orange m/t's on it...i tried to get them from him but just couldn't put down that kinda cash for them so i saved my dime's and plan on getting a set of these before they discontinue them or they get any more expensive:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4246&prmenbr=361

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005