Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blinking AC? AC not working- Found Problem

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Pookster, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Edit: So , I found the problem. It was acutally the electronic climate control box (the whole box in the dash board). Turns out the connection wasnt very good, and it had acutally toasted the connection a bit. (You can smell the flux and rosin scent on the connector. ) Cleaned it up a bit, squeezed liberal di-electric grease, and back in it went. Worked all day today. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sure enough, the problems with my truck are popping up.

There is no AC. Thought it was just the freon level- Tried to add Freon. Compressor doesnt kick in. the electronic AC control (in the 92-94 years) the amber "AC" symbol just flashes. Any ideas?

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Re: Blinking AC? AC not working-

Replace the fan speed switch...same issue was on my Sub and that fixed it. May also be the pressure switch located on the evaporator on the passenger side firewall. The fan switch doesn't require cracking open the system, so I would try that first.

Surprisingly, Auto Zone has the part. Not my first, or even second choice for a parts supplier, but it worked!

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Fan speed switch? Do you mean fan relay? or Ac relay? or .. something else??

4. Burbinator

The fan speed switch (lo-med-medhi-hi) in the three dial cluster on the instrument panel. It is the left-most switch below the stereo.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Humm. So your saying that even though the normal fan functions work, the AC function will not?

Unfortunately, are we talking about the same unit? Below the stereo, my unit has a digital display, with the Blower diversion selection (with a pic of the seat, to show you the direction of diversion) , and I only have a fan option on the right side with a High, Med, and low. I also have a recirc button, AC button, and a defrost.

6. Burbinator

OK...you have the older style dash, not the 95-99 style. Sounds like either the pressure switch I mentioned earlier or the clutch solenoid (two wire plug on the compressor itself).

My dash is the newer 95-99 style.

Sorry for the confusion... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I recall i should be able to jumper the pressure switch with a paper clip correct? That should tell me whether or not i can make the compressor engage. If i cant, it must be the clutch solinoid.

if so, do they sellt he solinod seperately?

8. Burbinator

I can't remember the exact schematic of the switch, but that sounds familiar.

The clutch solenoid should be a separate part available from the dealer/aftermarket.

Good luck!