Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blistein 7100's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Nov 2, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

blistein 7100\'s?

Anyone have any experience with these? A buddy of mine has them on his '80 shortbed and he says there is nothing better than reservior shocks. Anyone else agree or disagree? And also where is the best/cheapest place to get them if I decide to. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: blistein 7100\'s?

It's not the reservoir that makes them so great, it's the huge size and monotube design. The reservoir does help oil capacity, thus keeping oil cooler and reducing foaming, but the monotube design helps this as well.

Nothing beats a monotube shock....the design is far superior to the crap other manufacturers are putting out. Bilstein isn't the only monotube--just the most popular. AFAIK, all are good.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

They seem to have a pretty good rep and like Tim said popular because they are decently priced..............

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you're in the market for a good monotube like a bilstein, you might also consider Poly Perfs BBCS monotube shocks. Heres the thread/specs...

linky

I got a couple for the front end of my K5. I havent run them yet (still gotta relocate my shock towers etc etc) but they are VERY well made and specifically designed with rock crawlin and trail riding in mind.

j

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There are several features that make monotube's a better design for off road use. One is the divider piston btwn the oil and the Nitrogen. That keeps the oil from foaming or cavitating better than if the Nitrogen was immersed in the oil.
    Another is the way that the damper valving is designed. It is Digressive, meaning the faster the piston moves the more area there is for the fluid to flow thru. This keeps the small bumps under control w/o making the large bumps harsh.
    One thing about mono tubes is that for a 2" damper body you get a larger piston than with a 2" bodied deCarbon design (twin tube). That means more fluid displacement (no replacement for displacement) per shaft stroke increment which means that the oil does not heat up as much per bump. Less heat per bump means better fade resistance.

6. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

What companies make monotube shocks? The BBCS's look a little long for my truck, are normal Bilsteins monotube?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All Bilsteins are monotubes.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bilstein
    Fox
    King
    Sway Away
    The Expolorer Pro Comp Mx-6?
    That new shock from Poly Performance?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

KYB makes some monotubes but not long enough for us to use. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

KYB makes some monotubes but not long enough for us to use. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I spied a new shock last night on the 'Net, I think it was a Fox. Resevoir with dial ala Rancho, but being Fox it's about ten times better. It's ten dollars more a shock than what I was planning, but it may be the perfect compliment to what I'm doing up front.....

11. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I like the look of those Bilstein 5150's, any experience with those. Reasonable for a reservior shock too. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

7100's vs. 5150's:
    7100 has a bigger res. and adjustable valving. There are probably more details that are important about the larger reservoir like less pressure build on full compression but I don't know the details about how full they run the reservoir.
    The digressive valving is only available in the 7100's, not the 5150's. I think the digressive valve stack is going to be popular for recreational offroaders since it should ride a bit nicer on big hits. It probably won't be the hot ticket for real hard use since you won't get the extra resistance on a super hard hit.
    We play with bilsteins a good bit now so we're gaining experience.

13. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

the 5150's use bushings on both ends and the top mount can be rotated to keep the reservoir from coming in contact with anything once you tighten the jamb nut. the 7100's use 1/2'' uniballs or heim joints if you will in both ends and the resi is on a hose (remote mountable) the internal design on the 5150 is identical to that of a 5100 or 5125 series other than the fact the the dividing piston has been moved into the reservoir. IMO the 5100/5125's are great shocks and if you feel you need more i would skip the 5150's and jump at least to the 7100's