Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BLM restricting trail noise

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Aug 24, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Now we're too frickin noisy? Too many Boulderites and Californians moving into this damn valley.

BLM to restrict off-highway vehicle noise in Bangs Canyon

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

By SALLY SPAULDING

The Daily Sentinel

The Environmental Assessment released earlier this week by the Bureau of Land Management Grand Junction Field Office for the Bangs Canyon Recreation Area includes the most stringent noise regulation on BLM land in Colorado.

The management document, when implemented, would restrict off-highway vehicle noise in the 58,000-acre area just five miles southwest of Grand Junction.

“This is the first rule of its kind on BLM land in Colorado,” said Britta Laub, recreation program manager for the bureau’s Grand Junction Field Office. “We’ve really tried to build in noise controls in this, especially since the recreation area is so close to town.”

Older vehicles or vehicles with altered engines produce more noise than newer, factory-made ones. (no sh*t, really?)

Some enthusiasts of the sport worry the plan could change what models and years of vehicles are allowed on the trail system.

The sound limit, Laub said, would be enforced by bureau employees using an instrument to measure the decibel level of machines in Bangs Canyon.

The limit is roughly equal to the quantity of sound produced by a normal street-driven car, she said.

Some local off-highway vehicle enthusiasts say the regulation doesn’t bother them.

“It won’t affect most of us out there who are on regular machines that will fall within the decibel limit,” said Jacque Gaskill, a member of the Western Slope ATV Association.

In addition to decibel levels, the Environmental Assessment calls for new trails in the area to be located where natural sound barriers exist between trails and nearby private lands.

On trails closest to private land, Laub said, the bureau has proposed closing access from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. to keep noise to a minimum.

Additional provisions under the Environmental Assessment call for the closing of older trails and the addition of newer trails.

“With the growth the valley has seen, some of the historic trails in Bangs Canyon just aren’t in the best location,” said Mel Lloyd, spokeswoman for the bureau’s Grand Junction field office. “We’ll have a newer system of smarter trails under this plan.”

The bureau is taking public comment on the assessment through Sept. 23.

For additional information on the process or for information on how to submit a comment, contact Laub at 970-244-3031.

I think we should all call the BLM and complain about the smell level of patchouli on our trails, maybe that will cut down on the hippification of the west.

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The Green Nazis will come up with any excuse possible to keep us out of our land.

First we tear up the land... we're finally able to prove to these morons that we don't, so they next move onto noise. After that they'll probably say we're polluting the air, or kicking up too much dust, or us peeing behind a tree is detremental to the environment

Stupid mf granola bar eating, tofu farting, Teva wearing Hippies :angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1:

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Colorado is too far west. The Californians have invaded!!!!! Nothing sounds better than a small block wound up to about 3000 RPM's in low range screaming through a set of duals! I love Oklahoma!!!!

John

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

we dont have those regs here in so cal-i would know :D

that is such a crock of crap. i can see maybe no open exaust or strait headers, but it was worded the normal street driven car. thats crazy :mad:

makes me want to dump the clutch in thier drivway. the roar of a SBC and 35" spinning in the background to drown out thier Yanni. i dont understand, "lets go buy this property on the edge of a OR park. aww man didnt know people would be driving a ORV there, how annoying- lets try to ban them cause they are bothering me<sniff> " there should be a sign there louder is better- if u see a dust cloud and hear a roar move outta the way :eek1:

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Depends on what their definition of "Street Driven car" is.. But I dont see a problem with this new law. Although I was never a fan of loud exhaust on the trail in the first place.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If they were to use the 96 decible limit like CA uses, I don't see a problem with it.

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm not so sure I like seeing it as a law, but I sure do like quiet trucks. (and motorcycles)

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I don't see a problem with any of this, a clearly defined decibel limit would be great. This just stinks of an early effort to justify closing some great and historic trails, mostly because of some dumbasses who built homes next to a very well established ORV area.

I personally prefer quieter trucks as well, and screaming cycles are annoying but getting them off the trail just makes it easier to get us off down the road.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like decibal limits but it seems that they are doing it so private land owners aren't bothered, thats a lame reason. Poeple all over this nation are trying to get racetracks closed because of noise. You moved in next to a racetrack deal with it. I think the same should be true of this. If the reasoning was to protect wildlife or something thats great. To keep private land owners(probably wealthy ones) happy is a stupid reason probably driven by lawsuits or the threat thereof :mad:

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

oh i agree with that. but if u look around (or listen i should say) cars now are way qieter then that.
    i just feel its pre-emptive to a way to close trails.