Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block/Coolant heaters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 21, 2007.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

looking for options in block heaters. I've seen some in the past that replace freeze plugs with a heater plug. Anyone seen some that install in line with radiator hoses or more specifically heater hoses?

I am looking for a block heater option for the S10. I want to be able to warm the coolant in the s10 for cold weather starting with Propane.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a old v6 truck one time . i ran a lower rad hose heater in it. it didnt do jack to help make the truck warm up quicker.

best thing you can get is a remote start kit. bulldog is the simplest and best bang for the buck. thay even have t-harnnesses. to alow plug and play use.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Tank heaters rock. But don't pay the stupid shipping charge that the e-bay dude is asking for. You can buy a brand new one for what he wants for the unit and the shipping.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are missing the point. In cold PA weather, I'm worried about fuel vaporization in my propane system, in cold temperature. Coolant is run through the vaporizer to heat it and help the vaporization process, but freezing cold coolant will do little to help. My main idea is to put one of those inline heater hose units right before the vaporizer. However it won't do a whole lot as soon as coolant starts pumping.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Coolant shouldn't start pumping until the thermostat starts opening, right?

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had one on my Grand Prick when I was stationed in Canada eh. You thought it got cold down here, try up there. Got to 40 below one winter. That sucked. Anways I had one on my car, IIRC it was plumbed into the lower heater hose, and a tapped water passage on the pass side block, just infront of the starter. Think it's a 1/2" possibly 3/4" hole. The heater had a pump on it, so it circulated from the heater, motor, and radiator. It got up to 120 degrees, found that out after I grabbed the heater hose. Car started without touching the gas, and had heat instantly. Oh was it nice!!!! Got it at Napa, and beleive it was a heavy duty one.