Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

block drain plugs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Jul 29, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i'm flushing my radiator/engine and my booklet says to remove the "block drain plugs" on both side of my v8 engine...are these the bolts located on either side of the underside (not quite the bottom) of the engine compartment?

2. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

LOOK AND YE SHALL FIND ON EACH SIDE OF THE BLOCK DOWN LOW AFTER YOU PULL THEM IF NO FLUID DRAINS OUT TAKE A SCREWDRIVER AND POKE THE HOLES COULD BE SOME CRUND BLOCKING THE FLOW ?? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

you forgot to mention to get the !uck out of the way after the screwdriver bit....!

thanks though, nothin was leakin till i pricked it with my phillips, i was startin to get worried

4. bklynlifted

WELCOME TO THE CLUB HOWD IT TASTE hehehehe SOONER OR LATER WE ALL TASTE THE STUFF. PS CHECK YOUR PEE IN THE DARK IT MIGHT GLOW NOW?? JUST KIDDIN GOOD LUCK /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

They are actually pipe plugs not bolts. The usually have hex heads from the factory. They can be a bitch to get out. I relaced mine with pet-cocks.

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

yeah, i'm having a hell of a time getting one of mine out, and i'm thinking of just leaving it in there - only i wont be able to clean out that half of my engine then /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

7. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

I've always run Distilled water in my cooling systems. In my Nova and my truck once I changed the coolant a couple times it never got rusty, always looks perfectly green. Green coolant means no corosion and should mean very little build-up.

8. bklynlifted

RUN DOWN TO THE HARDWARE OR MARINE SUPPLY STORE AND REPLACE THEM WITH BRASS PLUGS,THEY WILL COME OUT EAZY NEXT TIME /forums/images/icons/grin.gif