Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block heater or some kind of sensor?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BelAir, Nov 5, 2002.

1. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Hi all. As I was installing my 1983 6,2 into my 1959 Biscayne, I noticed something in one of the frost-plug holes. On the drivers side, there was a turqoise or light blue plug that looked like stong plastic. It had a orange plug connected to it, and a long, flat, 3-lead electrical cable running from the orange plug. Now, this is unlike the blockheaters I have seen which are usually metal, with 2 metal pipes sticking out a bit before they go over to electrical cord. Is this perhaps a sensor of some kind?
    It is situated between the fuel filter and the front of the engine, just about on the middle of the block. Does anyone know what it is? I bought the engine loose, so I do not know where the black cable went, it has been cut off.
    (By the way, the 6,2 fits perfect into the old Chevy, good clearing, fits original motor mounts, and the TH350.)

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

That's the block heater. Since the cord was cut off, I'd suggest you install a new one before filling the system with coolant. I've had a block heater pop out on me before while driving down the road, not a good thing.

Casey

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've had a block heater pop out too. Definitely replace - either with a new block heater or just a frost plug.

If you need a heater, probably better to use one of the ones that install into your coolant lines. Easier to fix/bypass on the road than a frost-plug type.

4. BelAir

BelAir Registered Member

Hi and thanks for your answers. I guess its the 600W factory block heater we are talking about then? You recogniced the description? It does have a screw in the middle, yes. But I did not understand why you would change it out because the cord was snipped during removal from a van? This plug has been in there for maybe a couple 100K kilomerters, and there is no reason it should pop out now. The plug itself is not damaged. My only worry now is to find out if it is a 110 volt(american) or 220 volt (norway) heater.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The reason I suggest you change it is because the clamp that holds it in weakens over time. That's why it popped out in my truck. When I inspected what was left, the center screw had corroded to the point that it snapped. Losing all your coolant on the highway is not a good thing. I drove my '81 about 3 or 4 miles with no coolant in it, without realizing it. That was a year or so ago, and all seems fine, but I could have really damaged it.

110 volt block heaters around here are usually around $30. That's why I recommend you change it now, while it's easy to do.

Casey

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well did your engine come from a truck sold in Norway, or was it imported used, that's the only way to know if it's 110 or 220, and if it was imported, you want to know from where. If Europe or Asia, it's 220.
    The other way is to change it that way no confusion or worry that it would pop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The block heaters uses a cheap alloy that corrodes over the years, becomes brittle, and breaks loose under the heat/pressure of the cooling system.

I'd remove it or replace it - could save you some untimely grief.