Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block Heater Part Number?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ARAMP1, Nov 28, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Well, I tried to install a GM block heater that I bought last year and it turns out that it is the wrong one. Just a bit too small. :mad:

Anyway, does anyone have a GM part number (or even a NAPA number) for a block heater that installs in a 1.75in. freeze plug hole? (it's for a 454)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't have a part number, but when I lived in Colorado I was able to get a block heater at the local Advanced Auto Parts store. They had a decent selection and could order one for just about any application.

3. ARAMP1

I ended up going by the dealer today and ordering one. Hopefully it's the right one.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

how do you go about removing a freeze plug? drill it out and then stick something in and pull real hard?? been thinking about installing one in my block, but i haven't had any trouble starting it below 30 just yet, and it doesn't get much colder than that here.

5. ARAMP1

The task of removing the brass plug from the block is fairly simple. It gets complicated when there is something in the way (motor mount, starter, sensors, etc.) What I usually do is take a blunt object (all I seem to do with screwdrivers is poke holes) and hit the freeze plug on one side. Usually that breaks it free and it is easily removed.