Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block heater question.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by FWP, Nov 20, 2004.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Had a hard time time getting it started the other morning (aound 28* F outside), so I decided to check out the block heater. Looks like it had never been used, but the wiring and 110 plug were shot. I rewired the whole thing, put it on a timer to run from 3 am to 5am. she started right up, very cool.

My question... Since the block heater looks like it's never been used before, Is there anything I should be looking for? The seal at the freeze plug hole looks good, no problems. But I'm getting ready to tow with it, Just don't want any suprises.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

As long as it doesnt leak, either when plugged in or running, it should be fine. With it being as old as it is, it might develop a leak when plugged in. Mine did, and i drove it like that for 2 months until i got sick of looking at the coolant on the driveway. If it does develop a leak, new block heaters are only $14, and if you go at it with a really big screw and crowbar it should only take a little bit of time to change.

It all depends on where the truck came from.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Got it, thanks man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif