Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

block heater.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by eightyone, Dec 6, 2005.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

anyone run the plug from there block heater somewhere by the drivers side door, so you dont forget to unplug it? im always afraid im gunna drive away with the plug in, cuz i never go near the front of my truck in the morning, and im always in a rush.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You could always loop the extention cord over the drivers mirror as a reminder...

I walk past the front of my truck to get in, and haven't forgot to unplug so far. :crazy:

Rene

3. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

I loop the cord over the chevy hood emblem.

4. rennyd

rennyd Registered Member

Where is the block heater

Where is the block heater and how do I know if I even have one? It's an 83 suburban 6.2 diesel and it was supposed to have one? Please let me know. We moved from the San Francisco bay area where we never would have needed one to Portland oregon where it's below freezing most mornings? It would be nice to have one just so the car would not be so hard to start in the mornings even though I'm guess antifreeze should be enough to keep it from being a true block of ice in the morning. Please let me know where to look.

Thanks
    Renny

5. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

On the bottom of the block where the freeze plug is located....general area towards the front of the block.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Look for a 110V cord/plug hanging off of the block... That is usually the only reason for one to be there. But follow the wiring and be sure it is in good condition.

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Not to sound like your Nanny, but make sure your antifreeze is "good to go" for your new climate. There's nothing worse than gettin hit by a cold snap when your antifreeze isn't up to snuff. 'Keep you awake at night.....:doah: :D :haha:

8. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

I make sure there isn't a lot of extra cord hanging out the front and use an extension cord that allows the end to slide out easily if I back out and forget to unplug it ... just make sure the cord end is securly facened to something.

In the past I have used and extension cord attached to the truck but if you forget to unglug it you can drag it down the road and rip your grill to peices ... depending on how you have it routed

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Extension cords and duplex recepticles are cheap. Don't ask me how I know:rolleyes:

10. skark_burmer

skark_burmer 1/2 ton status

How long do you leave it plugged in? A few hours or overnight or what? I've never used a block heater before but will be going up to tahoe this winter.

Thanks

11. snoman87

snoman87 Registered Member

For a gas engine I'd normally plug in when it gets to down to around zero and have it set up on a timer for 3 hrs before I was leaving for work ... really only needs to be plugged in for a couple hours. With a Diesel I think I'd start pluggin in around 10-15 but it hasn't been that cold up here this year :D. As far a how long, it doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in all night if your not paying for power

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I've got a timer on my block heater. Gives me a good two to three hours before I have to leave in the morning. I plug it in every night (during the winter). Too many nights it started out mild then dropped. It saves me from letting it idle for a while in the morning; which really doesn't warm much up in a diesel. Idling just contaminates your oil.

13. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, don't forget to unplug it. Tie a flag on it or something. Put a note on yer dash that says "BLOCK HEATER". Me, I didn't have to worry about it. I had 150ft of cord strug across the apt complex to plug mine in!! I had the last cord be one of them light up ends. Plus you could use one short one and one long one had have the short one at the hood. If ya forget it would only ruin the shorty.