Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block Heater

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Russell Keys, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Is a block heater cord avail through the dealer? Also where does it plug into the block? I've seen prongs on one of the freeze plugs that looks like a good spot but not sure. How much should I expect to pay for one? Not that it gets that cold in Texas, but it would be nice to have just in case. Thanks-Russell

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

Yours should have a cord that attaches to what GM calls a fuel heater .This will allow the fuel to keep from jelling . Maybe some one removed your cord ? I don't use mine much , and it can get pretty cold here !!

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Cords are (were) available from GM and NAPA also. Cheap dough about $8.00 last time I checked. Yep it plugs into the prongs of the heater, which replaces a stock freeze plug. Never heard about "factory fuel heater" can't see how it would work or help. I know some fuel filters have heaters (12v) inside to help with gelling. But fuel gelling is usually a problem rolling down the road at REAL cold temps (with un/poorly 'winterized" fuel). I've also seen heaters that are coolant heaters mounted external and rely on the thermo siphon effect to heat the block. There are also pan heaters to warm the oil, and small pads to warm the batteries.

Got to get the beast started first. High compression, low combustion temps, oil thick as cement, and temperature weakened batteries all conspire against us. The block heater is our first line of defense.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Definatly do install a block heater you wont regret it.
    One of a cold diesel engines best friends it is.
    I live in Montreal and our winters get damn cold.
    I have seen it at its coldest in the last 125-years (occured about 5 years ago) where the temp dropped to -55.( And I worked outside for a living... 6 out of 8 hours a day out side in the elements....not fun I literally thought my fore-head was goint to split open from the cold.Skin froze in 2 minutes)
    Almost as cold as the top of Everest...real cold.
    Our normal cold temps are like -25 , -35 with wind-chill and I dont have to climb into my rig to light her up.Starts up all the time, 90% of the time first shot. I also always use STANADYNE PERFORMANCE FORMULA.

1989 GMC Jimmy 6.2L 4x4,1969 Camaro Z/28 502 C.I. B.B.C.
    BLOOD,SWEAT AND GEARS!

5. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Yes, Dan. All the 6.2's had electric fuel heaters. The later models with the Model 80 square box filter had the heater mounted in the filter base. The early models with the spin on filters had the heater mounted inline on the fuel line, under the intake, going TO the filter(I think that's the line it was on). But, yes, they are there. So says my Diesel Tech Manual.