Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block heater

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Tybee, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I have never been able to plug my block heater in until now! I cant believe how well it works. Started first crank in 18 degree cold. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My question is do you guys keep them pluged in all the time or a couple hours before you drive it? And how many watts are they?

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Good point. Do these have like an auto switch to make them turn off when they reach a certain temp? whats the deal? its my first diesel and first winter with a diesel and just wanna know whats the deal. I doubt I'll need it though because winters here never drop bellow 25

3. 6 2 Carl

6 2 Carl Newbie

The block heaters are 600 watts. You can leave it plugged in 24/7 if you want to, 600 watts is not enough to overheat the engine. The block heaters are undersized IMHO, and are barely adequate when the temperatures get really cold.

Carl

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Thanks, for your response. Mine works great, before without it I would crank, it would run then die. I did this like 3 times before it would stay running.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If you have a garage, leave it plugged in overnight. I keep mine parked close to the house, with an extension cord running out to it. I plug it in before I go to bed.

There is no timer, it's just small enough that it will heat continuously without overheating. Some guys put the extension cords on one of those household timers to make it kick on a couple of hours before going to work, but I just leave mine plugged in all night, and all day if it's really cold out.

Casey

6. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Mine has worked great (temps barely get below zero F around here though). It has saved my butt when my glow plugs weren't working though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif also, so it does make a nice back-up. There are other types of block heaters out there also - I have heard of both propane and diesel powered ones... At what temp do you consider the electric ones barely adequate? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Here in the Midwest it's never gotten cold enough that my truck wouldn't start when it was plugged in. No matter how cold it's gotten (sometimes 10 to 15 below zero F) it's always started when plugged in.

However, it has failed to start several times because it wasn't plugged in.

I know of guys using the propane and diesel heaters up in Canada. These work good when not being able to plug in.

Casey

8. 6 2 Carl

6 2 Carl Newbie

At about -25F is when our block heaters become barely adequate, especially if it is windy. 600W block heaters are the common wattage and the are used on most gas V8 and V6 gas engines. I have even seen 600W heaters on a 2.5L iron duke. It makes me kind of jealous to see some of friends have their engines prewarmed to over 100F, just by plugging in. That is why I made my barely adequate comment.

I supplement my block heater with a 250W oilpan heater, this along with my battery blankets, allow my truck to start reliably below -40F

Carl

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Couldn't you just run two block heaters? One for each bank. But if it's that damn cold out I'ld stay home. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yep time to call in sick!

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've read through this post and I find the "barely adequate" comment a little puzzling. My 83 will start at -30'C(-22'F) with little complaint after being plugged in for only 4-5 hours.

This might have something to do with the fact that our fuel is "winterized" from November to March, however.

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Block heaters....good. I will just leave mine plugged in all night long. Really nice if you can drive it and keep it warm then plug it in.

My cord went out on me and I had a small fire! Luckily /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I was underneath it and could pull the cord out real fast. Reaplced the cord and the thing works nice now.

Only have to give about 5 sec of my ac60g plugs to fire it up when its plugged in!!

13. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I kept my truck plugged in all last winter and it was nice. This winter I'm trying something different (and cheaper on electricity). I mounted a small 1.5A automatic battery charger under the hood and I'm keeping that plugged in. So far so good, but I'll see what happens when it finally gets cold. So far, the lowest overnight temp has been around 10 degrees and the truck started no problem.

14. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

To keep the batteries charged?

15. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Yep. In the time I've owned the truck, the only times it wouldn't start were due to dead batteries. If I just use the truck to run errands, the batts don't charge back up during the short trips. Since I put in the set of 60Gs, cold starting hasn't been a problem as long as I've got enough juice to crank it over.

16. ND GMC

ND GMC Newbie

My 98 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif has a coolant heater which seems to work great. I haven't seen temps below 15 degrees F yet, but I don't anticipate any problems. I had 4 glow plugs out, and it still started great. Keeping the batteries warm would help too, but this seems to work well. Being in North Dakota, I know the temps will soon fall, but for now I have no problems leaving in plugged in all night.

Cody