Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Block Heater?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Orange, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Orange

Orange Registered Member

I was just wondering if any body knew anything about block heaters. I have a 6.2L Diesel engine in my 84' Jimmy. When I hook up the heater to the plug in the wall, It's supposed to heat up the block, but lately it hasn't even warmed it up a little. I need to know if I have to replace the heater or the cord or what. Thanks

Orange 84' Jimmy

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

We used to have trucks and tractors on my Dad's farm equipped with block heaters. Usually if a cord was bad enough to be suspect we just changed out the heater. Some were in a block frost plug, the lower radiator hose type are pretty easy to install and seemed to work fine.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

i have one in my girl...
    i haven't really used it though...
    it was in there when i bought it...
    i have all the paperwork on it if
    you need ......

4. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I helped install one in a 96 Xtd cab chev P/u. The freeze plug was a problem. Plus after we got it in, it seemed to dribble antifreeze all the time after shutting the truck off. The o-ring didn't seat well..

Best of luck,

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If you havent allready, check the cable where the plug-in attatches. I cant get my wife to understand that pulling it out by the cable ruins the connector. Just like on her her stupid vacumcleaner and iron.
    I dont leave mine on more than a couple of hours before I go to work because on an old engine, it can help goo up your pistonrings, and dry out the bearings.

http://sites.netscape.net/espensplace/homepage

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

It's probably the cord, the actual element is just a solid bunch of wires that heat up. The cord flexes and more than likely just wore out somewhere. I put a NAPA unit in my K5 in '97 and haven't had any problems. It doesn't get real warm, just enough to feel some heat out of the heater. Makes starting sooo much easier.