Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BLoCK Heater

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **b**, Jan 3, 2001.

1. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

I'll start by wishing all a happy new year!
    now that the temp up here in in the low teens
    iam considering using my block heater....
    it was installed by the orig. owner...
    i have not used it as of yet ....

the wires look good...
    Is there anything i should know before i leave her plugged in
    overnight???

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I would plug it in during a cold day first just to see how it does before leaving it unattended all night. I have one of the block heaters that go in a freeze plug hole. It works ok. The temp gage is just slightly above the bottom peg when I jump in and there is just a little heat coming from the heater. It sure makes it start the first time.

Fencepost eater

3. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, I run Chevy diesels here, and it's cold... I haven't felt my feet in about 5 weeks. Anyway, I plug them in when I get home at night, when the motor is still warm. That way the block heater doesn't have to work as hard. Just make sure that you use a good curcuit, and a heavy cord. Don't plug it in to the xmas lights like my brother (he runs a Ford.) GOPHERKILLER

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Which one does a better job, the water heater or the block heater?

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

They both do a good job. I had a block heater, tank heater, and a little 1500 watt heater inside of the cab of my truck while I was stationed in N. Dakota. Had them all hooked to a timer so they'd kick on a couple of hours before I had to go to work. Never had to scrape ice after I put them in.

Smitty

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

In the town in Mont. that I lived in, the parking meters all had places were you could plug your outfit in while you went to the post office (or bar.)

7. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Low teens, it must be nice. That would be suntan weather around here. My block heater hasn't worked in two years. I put the front of the Blazer in a shelter. 6 pumps of the gas and away we go. It's been down to -41C. I have the block heater, just haven't put it in yet. Maybe tonight when I re-attach my plow that I broke off.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, let's see. If memory serves correctly, -40 C equals -40 F. That's DAMN COLD!!!! [​IMG] It's supposed to hit 64 here in Colorado Springs today. Yeehaa!!!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

9. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

64F. That would be most excellent. Only this morning (I was in bull low trying to get out of my wind drifted, 1km long driveway, got to the end and someone was suck, pulled them out) I was thinking, man, I'm sick of winter already.

Only three months left, YEEE HAAAA!!!!!!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

10. River

River 1/2 ton status

Here in Europe you can buy waterheaters that you connect with your waterhose it runs on gas and has a electronic ignition and programmable timmer. It heats up the engine and the inside off your car it automaticly turns on the blower. They are made by WEBASTO a german company price $1250,- .
    Don`t need it where i live it never gets colder then -10 C for a short time.

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Indeed it IS excellent! I went out in shirt sleeves at lunch time. Ahhh, it's like winter in Florida! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

12. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

HarryH3, you are really rubbing it in. It's plus 5C today and everyone here thinks it is a really warm day. I guess it just makes us harty. I would like to be driving my 69 Nove though. I'm living in the wrong country if I want warmth.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

13. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

HarryH3, you are really rubbing it in. It's plus 5C today and everyone here thinks it is a really warm day. I guess it just makes us harty. I would like to be driving my 69 Nova though. I'm living in the wrong country if I want warmth.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home