Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

@*%#*&$ BLOCK HEATER #&%*!@$#^

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Dec 16, 2003.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

ive broken 2 fingers, bent 1 crowbar, broke one pair of vice grips, and this thing still hasnt moved. anybody who has replaced one have any tips? it would be nice if it was rusty, im sure it would come right out then. im about to take the dremel to it and see if cutting it into pieces would help, but im worried about the little shavings ending up in the coolant and clogging something. or drilling it and tapping it and putting a nice long bolt on it and see if that works. anybody have any tips? this is making me really /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I know the feeling. I have a very limited tool supply at my disposal. So things that are easy for people with a decent set of tools can turn into a major task for me. Lastnight I was out trying to get a bolt loose that is on the INSIDE of my van. I saturated it with WD40.. and still broke a drive extension, screwdriver and channel locks. I was out there working on that same bolt for at least 3 hours. That bolt is still there. Tight as ever /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. BiggBlazer

BiggBlazer Registered Member

Advice from the "Great White North". Just undo the bolt ALL the way, pull the heater out, angle it as you go- the element is bigger than the hole. Then just reach in with long needle nose pliers to pull out the winged nut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

the bolt is all the way out. i am either going to hit it with a torch tommarow, or just cut it into 3 pieces and remove each piece individually. i wasnt too pissed until the vicegrips broke and i broke the second finger(its a real pain to type).

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ive broken 2 fingers, bent 1 crowbar, broke one pair of vice grips, and this thing still hasnt moved.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Reminds me of my first girlfriend… /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    sorry, it's getting late....

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

well, i finally won. i had to drill a hole in the heater, and thread a big screw into it, and use my new unbent crowbar to pull it out. i had to drill a second hole, cause the first one ripped out. but i got it out.

7. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Were you concerned about cracking the engine block in trying to remove the engine block heater? Mine is at an angle where I can get a screw driver under it. I'm afarid if I really start to crow at it that the block is going to chip or break.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:D 7 years ago :p:

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No kidding, this has to be one of the first threads I ever started.

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow, talk about coming back from the dead...