Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

block huggers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Nov 9, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Will block hugger style headers work with our trucks (90 jimmy) or will they contact the mounts or crossmember. Anyone with experience. My longtube headers get in the way of everything. My driveline, my starter, my shift cable, and they burn my plug wires bad so I am going to swap to block huggers. I just want to know if these will work on our trucks. Anyone with experience?

2. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

If you think headers are such a pain in the ass, why don't you just go back to manifolds? Even if blockhuggers will fit, any gain won't be worth the trouble. If they are burning your plug wires, you obviously have your plug wires run incorrectly. Run them over the valve covers, and use wire looms. If you still have problems, try Accell shorty header plugs, and use wire insulation.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree.

I've got long tube headers, and I don't have any of the issues you mention, although shackle bolt interference was a bit of a pain.

Any decent long tube headers will clear everything.

Spend a few extra minutes (or hours in my case) coming up with solid mounting points for your plug wires, and they will never burn.

pics 3 and 4 show the "solid" plug wire mounting points I came up with...the heads have tapped holes that make something like that easy to rig up.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] Long time ago I saw this tip in a magazine. It works great and is cheap. Much better than any looms I've seen and attractive. You can also use red or yellow or several different colors of wire ties. Wrap one loosely around the outside then one between each wire, then tighten all slowly until tight. Messed up? Cut 'em off and try again, you only used twelve cents worth! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif