Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocked port?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by angrysnowplow, Mar 21, 2003.

1. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

My old intake gasket had the last port on each side blocked off, and the gasket kit I bought has ones that are similar, and ones that aren't blocked...can someone tell me why the ports are blocked?
    Also a guy at the dealership suggested I put some liquid teflon on the threads of the head bolts- good idea? Or some kind of thread lock? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    BTW it's a 1990 TBI 350

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My rebuild kit came with things that you could optionally block ports with, I have no idea why you would do this. I don't see what the point in reducing air flow is.

3. angrysnowplow

I dunno either, but it apparently came from the factory like that...some kinda weird TBI thing maybe? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Are you referring to the last intake runner? Or the smaller port located at the very rear of the head? And as for lube for intake bolts...Factory recommendations are for oil, but I find Never-seize work out wonderfully for that.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh if you mean the ports ont he head at the very back of each one(closest to the firewall) that is becuase there is nothing there. Chevy heads are reversable, you can put them on either side of the block and it won't be wrong. This The last port is for coolant flow but doesn't go through the intake.

6. angrysnowplow

It's the smaller one on the end.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah then its thje coolant flow port which isn't needed for anything.

8. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Yup, that's just a coolant passage. It's not used, hence why the gaskets block it off. If you look, the ones up front lead right into the Thermostat area, but the ones in back are useless.

9. angrysnowplow

Ok, I get it, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the only reason its really there is it cools some and if you flip the head around it will go through the thermostat housing.

11. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    I find Never-seize works out wonderfully for that.

[/ QUOTE ] The Never-Seize I woulld HIGHLY recommend if you have Alum. Heads.

12. angrysnowplow

Nope, iron heads(well I think, a magnet sticks to it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)I just don't want anymore bolts to break off in the head /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif if there is a next time.

13. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Go with the Never-Seize then, and I do believe the torque on those intake bolts is 30 Ft./Lbs. Lemme know if you need the toque sequence or anything.

14. angrysnowplow

I've got my Chilton's book, but thanks for offering. Looks like one more trip to the store...
    Appreciate the help folks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif