Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blockhuggers for BBC in 1st Gen

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by destinbeachman, Apr 26, 2007.

1. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

I have wanted to get rid of my old long-tube headers for a while now-they are rusted pretty bad,the flanges are warped,and they hang down 5 or 6 inches too low.During the winter wheeling season(yeah,it's backwards for me-I wheel in the winter and wrench during the summer)I sunk the '70 pretty bad and a short time after I got it running again the motor started to talk to me.So I tore it down thinking the worst.Turns out my gear drive took a crap,with one of the idler gears walking forward and eating up the rear of my harmonic dampener.That's a new one on me.Of course,by then I had already pulled most of the bottom end looking for chaos.So I'm putting her back together and improving and upgrading some of it and I decide to try some new headers.After finally deciding that a set of blockhuggers would probably fit i ordered a set from Summit and I think they'll fit fine.The collectors end up right behind the motor mounts and look like they will clear everything easily.I often see posts here asking what type of headers to use on a big block in a Blazer so I shot a few pics.BTW,the old ones were from a Chevelle,if I'm not mistaken.They were getting pretty dinged up cause they hung down too low.Thought this might help someone out. Cheers!

100_0819.jpg

100_0818.jpg

100_0816.jpg

2. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:waytogo: Looks great. Are your plug wires going to fit well enough?:waytogo:

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Nothin' as pretty as a BBC, well, almost nothin. :wink1:

Looks great and it does look like those will work well.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am thinking of going shortys on my 454 in my 71. Mostly for going single exhaust on the drivers side since there isn't much room on the pass side for a exhaust pipe. Show pics of how it clears frame and all please. Is your engine in the stock location or moved forward at all?

5. destinbeachman

It's actually set back about 6 inches on a custom crossmember.I'll post a few pics after I install it,probably this weekend.And no,I don't have any probs with the plug wires.I run them through a billet loom that mounts to the valve covers and drops them down from above.-Allen

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

set back 6"??? Did you have to build a new firewall? I barely have any room with my 454 moved forward an inch.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya? You have to show us pics of that now :D :laugh:

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If he could just set it back a few more inches, the air cleaner would make a nice center console!!! Maybe cut a few holes in it for cupholders??? :thinking:

:usaflag:

9. destinbeachman

Just got the motor in and fired up again and took some pics.Was a tighter fit than I anticipated and I had to put some small rounded notches in the frame.Hated to do that but it was the only way.I still think I'm gonna like these headers much better than the old ones.No MNorby,I didn't build a new firewall.I didn't get the engine set-back across the way I meant to.The crossmember sits back about that much farther than stock,I'm pretty sure(mine didn't have one at all when I got it).I massaged the firewall a bit to get it in there the way I wanted it.I haven't seen any pics of how much clearance other guys have so I don't really know how well I did.Here are a few pics.If I had been back on here and seen your post I would have taken some of the firewall area while it was still easy to see.-Allen

100_0850.jpg

100_0856.jpg

100_0857.jpg

100_0862.jpg

10. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Those headers fit pretty nice. Do you have a part number?

11. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

Is the motor setting lower in the frame then stock? Also did you make your own crossmember or is it from a vendor? Thanks Jason

12. destinbeachman

Crossmember is an old universal from Alston,cut to fit,of course and bent slightly to match the frame's taper.And the headers are from Patriot.Part #H8029 from Summit.-Allen