Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocks. . . I know I know. . .

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jun 4, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, if ya'll will remember the rolled blocks saga from about a month ago, I rolled some blocks out and decided to do a shackle flip. Well I have started, but decided that i should wait for access to a plasma cutter to finish (1 month or so). I'd like to go ahead and get some blocks for now, just temporarily until I get the flip done. One shacke hanger has a small hole in the bottom, from where I started, but I don't think it will be too weak, as it would be there anyway after the flip. I was wanting some opinions on just using some of the steel blocks from Advance Auto Parts. They would see no off-road action and just be driven on the street, no highway. I know they probably suck, but they cover the perch entirely, unlike the old ones, so i don't see how they could roll out. Would it be ok to use them?
    Thanks,
    Red

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if your only talking about the rear then you would be fine

3. BowtieRed

well how could i do a shackle flip up front /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j/k /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i just meant that as long as it is only in the rear it would be ok and i have also seen people call the extended shackles in front a shackle flip /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Don't the heep people call something with their front shackles a shackle reversal?

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yea, a heeps shackles are on the front from the factory, they reverse them (so they are like ours) and call it a shackle reversal

7. BowtieRed

so yall think those block will be straight for on-road use?

what do you think about off-road? if i had them welded down, then i cut them off with the plasma cutter when my friend can let me use it?

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why wait for a plasma cutter? I modified my hangers with a 5" grinder with a "Zip-cut" disc and had it done and over with in under an hour (the cutting the bracket part...)

I just don't see the point of buying new blocks, new u-bolts plus your labor just so you can throw most of that away a month from now.

Do the shackle flip and get it over with...I'd think after the last episode you'd be the last person on the planet to even consider running blocks.

Rene

9. BowtieRed

true, but i've changed my mind again, i'm waiting for have enough for the flipped shackle kit from ORD (or ORU) whichever is the one who makes it. no wheelin till then- and i haev to buy new ubolts anyway
    i'll use the ones i had for now, thanks for the help.