Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocks or Leafs????

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70_K5, Mar 21, 2001.

1. 70_K5

70_K5 Registered Member

I am going to do a lift on my '99 chevy 2 door tahoe i would like to do 3 inches. now this is what i am debating in the front i am going to use lift spindles and now in the rear should i do blocks or lift leaf springs? i have a friend that has blocks and he said that it rides very hard now will leafs give me the same ride? i want a nice ride for the road but strong enuf to do some offroading. any input will help a lot
    thank you
    michael

2. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

Blocks should maintain the original ride quality: you aren't really changing the springs, just where they're mounted.

New rear springs will have more arch in them, and typically give a stiffer ride because of increased spring rates.

Maybe your friend's ride is "very hard" because it was lifted by just increasing the preload on the front torsion bars. If ride quality is an overriding concern for you, maybe you'd happier leaving your truck at stock height.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well duno about your vehicle but with a rig like mine blocks are sure to give you axel wrap/wheel hop. If you are just gonna do some light wheelin with your suv then most likly the blocks will be fine. I will NEVER use blocks again. I feel the right way to lift it would be to replace the springpacks.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

the k5 that i have now had 3" blocks on the back with stock leaf all around. it road with the butt up in the air. The ride was a bit stiff. i replaced the 3" with 1" blocks. the blazer rides level and the ride is a lot smother. may also consider running the back a bit lower than the front.

I guess when it ran with it's butt in the air, the weight distribution was push forward leaving the back a bit lighter. kinda like a normal truck rides, making it stiffer.

my 2 centavos...

ARQ.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My hunting partner's '72 K/5 rides softer than mine. He has 6" Skyjacker Soft-Ride springs in back (4" in front) and I have stock HD front springs and 2" blocks in the back. He has less axle tramp and wind-up. Springs all the way. Just get ones with the proper spring rate and you'll be happy.