Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocks or new leafs in back?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 12, 2001.

I'm planning on lifting my '87 Suburban 6" and running 35-36" tires. I'll use 6" springs in the front, I'm considering using ORD's 4" shackles in the back and I need about 3" more lift in the back to level the truck. Do I need to use new leaf springs in back? I hear it's a no-no to use blocks, but I get less spring arch with blocks and my stock springs, plus all the new 4x4 trucks have blocks from the factory. Are blocks really that bad???

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

May 18, 2000
    Yes they are. They cause axle wrap and can come completely out from under the spring if given the right force. Have seen it done. Not cool. Spend the extra <font color=green>$$</font color=green>, and get it done the right way.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 2.5" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

BMRCCR Registered Member

Mar 7, 2001
    If you have a 3/4 or 1 ton sub then blocks 3" or less won't give you any problems. You don't get much spring wrap with springs on 2500 and 3500 trucks. But with 3" lift springs, the springs woudn't be overly curved. If you are bothering with worying about money, why not just get 6" lift springs? It would be cheaper than the shackle flip plus buying blocks. My advice: Get the 4" flip and 2 1/2" springs. I don't undersand why somewone would go to the trouble of dropping the gas tank and reengineering their rear suspension and then add lift blocks to it. Just a few thoughts.
  3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    If you're going to be doing any towing or hauling with it, you may want to look in to a set of 3/4 ton springs for the rear. At that point a 2" block wouldn't kill you. Blocks are ok with stiffer springs and in moderation, but even the newer trucks have some nasty axlewrap because of the blocks. As a budget fix, you could run a block for a while, but I think the stiffer springs could end up being what you're after. With stiffer springs you could run a short block, or we could look at getting you a custom type spring with a stiffer rate and a couple inches of lift.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
  4. Okay, I'll stop being cheap and spend the extra couple hundred to fix it right. I just didn't want to spend the extra dough if it really wasn't necessary. Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll be calling Stephen soon for some new parts. It's nice to see someone is still offering some service and expertise these days!!!