Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocks or Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 10, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My friend and I got in an argument over rear springs or rear blocks. Wich do you guys think are better and why?
    Thanks guys.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs, some SSR's or SX's

2. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Rear springs are 100% better than blocks. With springs, you don't get any axle wrap. Blocks are better moneywise. Alot cheaper than springs. If you get a lift of 6" or greater, it's usually springs for the rear instead of blocks.

Ryan

Never knock on DEATH's door. Ring the bell and run...he hates that!!!!

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What about breakage, my friend was like "If a blokc falls out you can put it back in, if a spring breaks your screwedand will higher lift the prings have more arc and break easier"

Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs, some SSR's or SX's

4. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Can you tell me what axle wrap is?

Kn filter

5. 83bowtyblazer

83bowtyblazer 1/2 ton status

Axle Wrap is when your axle tries twisting when it's under a load..like whe your pulling a FORD out of a hole. It's almost like your whole rear end turns with the axle due to high blocks. As far as springs breaking, I'm not real familiar with that situation but the way I look at it, if a spring is gonna break, it's gonna break regardless of what you have for a lift. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

Ryan

Never knock on DEATH's door. Ring the bell and run...he hates that!!!!

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

" More arch causes spring to break easier"?
    I had stock springs with a block and bent both springs, my friend has 6" spring on his burban and has no problem with them. Spring steel is made to hold it's shape so it wouldn't matter if it was a 4" spring or a 12" spring it is made to hold it's shape. Blocks cause axel wrap which will after time cause spring failure because you are stressing the spring in the wrong point. So springs are better then blocks, but a flip is better then both.IMO

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Can you explain the flip and why its better

Kn filter

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Read this:

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle

9. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Only benefit I can think of besides cost that blocks have over springs is that blocks lift the spring up higher out of harms way. This could prevent damage to the spring.

-Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com