Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocks, "They're how to ruin a wheeling trip"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 16, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]

90% of the way down the "Headless Horseman" trail at Paragon on Saturday, this happened to a Ranger riding in the same group as us.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using the aid of 3 hi lifts, a bunch of guys to steady it, one jack stand, 2 tires, and some misc trail tools the truck was able to limp off the trail(being towed by another ranger). We never found the second lift block, so who knows how long it had been gone. All of the u-bolts were bent. On the passenger side, we were able to tighten the nuts down(thankfully they had a ton of thread). On the driver side however, the u-bolts were badly bent so it wasn't happening. Ended up only getting 2 nuts (one on each u-bolt) tight.

So, how are you blocks working for you again?

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I dunno man I think there were some darker forces at work Were they Aluminum Cheesy blocks from the parts store??? Were the Ubolts tight to begin with those look shorter than the stock blocks on my superduty

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes they are cheesy aluminum jobbers. No idea on u-bolts, the people who owned the truck were clueless all around. Earlier on we had to clamp off a brake line they had rubbed through from the one tire. I felt the pedal, and it felt HORRIBLE. The kid jumped in and said "oh yeah its good now". Makes me wonder what his pedal felt like before the line broke.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thanks to these forums here at CK5 , I never put the blocks from my lift kit on the truck . Shackle flip rear from the get go :bow:

5. yellowK20

yeah well it's a ford . Sounds like this guy is just getting started in the 4x4 world and he just got lesson # one Autozone/checkers suck.

6. yellowK20

yeah tall blocks suck but 2-3 incher won't hurt Until you can afford something better as long as there steel/castiron. Not recycled Beercans

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got my flip second hand .............. from the MEMBERS here :thumb:

No excuse , even for us workin' folks !!

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I haven't had any problems with my 4" blocks yet,,they are steel, and are torqued down prrrrretty tight too though,,,,

but oh wait,,,,,,i don't wheel my chit anyways, so i guess i have nothing to worry about :rolleyes:

:haha:

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd bet $10 that he didn't torque them down correctly. There are a LOT of turns between "feels pretty tight" and "torqued to spec". :rolleyes: Most folks also don't bother to re-torque the bolts after driving a few miles. If the bolts weren't lined up just right when torqued the first time, they'll loosen up when they shift into position. Plenty of trucks came from the factory with rear blocks, and they aren't falling out. :)

Saw a guy really mess up his brand new F-250 near Dallas back around 1981 or so. He had just installed a new lift kit, but the U-bolts were apparently splayed out a bit when he installed 'em. As we were wheeling, they loosened up. He romped the pedal hard to climb a muddy hill... The axle slid forward on the springs, busted the driveshaft and the tires met the fenders. Ouch!!!

All of my junk has been riding on blocks for the last 25+ years with no problems at all. :cool1:

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'm glad I'm using a shackle flip and lifted springs:D

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

First of all I will say that lift blocks are not the best idea...........however I wheeled by truck hard for years and never had problems with the 3" rear blocks. I had 38" TSL's, Dana 60 front, 14-bolt rear, and dual lockers. The blocks survived shearing a steering arm off the knuckle, a broken necked-down inner front shaft, and a broken 30-spline stub, so not like I was easy on the truck.

I do now have a shackle flip in the back with NO blocks.......I was always concerned about them but they were never the failure point.

12. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have seen 5 sets of blocks get spit out that way. My guess is that the aluminum ones break after the u-bolts get loose. Blocks suck, don't bother they will probably end up costing more in the end. If they fail, you will probably be in for new block, u-bolts, and probably a new rear driveline (only u-joint and pinion yoke if you are lucky).

13. yellowK20

C'mon blocks aren't that bad (normal blocks 2-3 inches) that are steel not cheesy parts store crap and lift springs/shackle flip scan mess up just as much crap if installed improperly. Bottom Line- tourqe your U-bolts to spec and retourqe them after driving a bit

14. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Then wait until the spring wrap enough to bind the u-joint and ka-bam! Rear springs or a shackle flip are pretty damn inexpensive. I think that is the only way to go; street or not. I mean, you have to buy shocks either way. You may have to mess with brake lines either way. The only difference is you are buying blocks and u-bolts (guessing $50) vs. buying a shackle flip (~$160) or rear springs (~$300). I have never seen anyone with springs or a shackle flip have trouble like the guys with blocks.

15. Propayne

Propayne Registered Member

you guys probably wouldnt be too excited to see the three 4 " blocks that are stacked on top of each other under the leafs on my friends Ford F-250 on 44s.

16. yellowK20

maybe with tall Blocks (over 3" ) But Shackleflips have spring wrap also . Now that being said blocks are not Ideal But there not "EVIL" Millions of trucks have come from the factory with blocks (some up to 4" ) Guys with flexy springs and shackle flips are Fighting axle wrap (hence antiwrap bars like AZ-KICKINS' and now defunct MOO) And rear lift springs don't flex as well as stock springs do so theres trade offs either way Like I said before blocks would not be My fist choice But I won't Avoid them Like the Plauge either. especially on a street truck/tow rig. BTW none of my rigs have blocks

17. yellowK20

well except my STOCK superduty

18. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

:eek1: :doah: :crazy: :eek: :shocked: :frown1:

:haha:

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ouch!!!!

20. yellowK20