Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blocks vs. shackle flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Jul 22, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ok i was curious of the pros cons of using blocks over shackle flip, first of all, i won't be doing rocks or anything if it matters, but i have no idea what a shackle flip is, what it costs, how affective it is or what it looks like, i did a search but my comp sucks hard core and i can't make out any of the pictures, its a 4 inch rough country lift btw. any help is welcomed, thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to have blocks and they tended to twist a bit on the perch and seemed to cause a lot of axle wrap in my truck. A shackle flip basically converts the truck from a tension style shackle to a compression style shackle. There are kits available from ORD or if you can fab a little you can utilise your own brackets and just modify them.

Here's a pic of the flip I just did...I'm very happy with the results!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

[​IMG]

Hope that clears things up for you.

Rene

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

One thing I have noticed personally about shackle flips is, that on a flatbed project, when the frame is bobbed to the spring hangers, the shackle flip would actually decrease departure angle a bit, and if you tried to back up something too steep, would nail the shackle and send it forward. Not very applicable, but interesting nonetheless, dont you think? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes it does hurt departure...some 62" tires would take care of that problem though/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

or some 57 inch tires like rene has... lol...

6. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I went blocks at first until I could afford a flip kit.
    I have noticed wrap with the blocks, and it is really begining to become unsettling, I bought a 100% bolt on flip kit and am hoping to install it soon!
    If I had to do it all over again, I would go springs or flip kit, and would have never gone with the blocks!

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

When I used to have 4" blocks in the rear my whole truck would do the jumping shimmy while trying to climb a grade "while wheeling". It was a fun ride, but it sucked for traction.

After installed the ORD Shackle flip, my truck just runs right up the same grades w/o any problems. No more bouncing and hopping up them.

So I would have to say that blocks are for looks and a cheap way to get a lift. Want it done right, use the shackle flip method.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO springs are the right way to do the job, shackle flips should be for a rock crawler. Shackle flips make axlewrap too, just not as much as blocks do.

My friend has a Suburban with an ORD shackleflip and 6" springs and he still has axlewrap problems!