Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blower motor for the fan went out...recommendations on buying?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jul 8, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

The fan didn't blow real hard when it worked. I'd like to swap one in that i know will put out some good air. Any recommendations? This is in a '79 Jimmy SBC. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

IIRC chevy made a heavy duty heater option for a number of years... I think it had a more powerful blower motor.... a good parts man could help you on this one

cam

3. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i think suburban fans are stronger to accomodate the larger cab.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

swap a van one in...

I have put chevy van blower motors (with A/C) in pickups..the van motors blow like a hurricane compared to a stock non A/C pickup one...HOWEVER--if you buy a new or rebuilt one at a parts store,usually they are a "generic" universal replacement motor,that may or may not be the same as the heavy duty GM OEM one...I usually get one from a van with AC at a junkyard...

Motors with permanent magnets rather than brushes and a normal armature are the heavy duty higher speed ones..the ones with A/C have a "vent tube" hole to recirculate cold air from the A/C to the motor housing to help cool it off,but I've taped over it to keep wasps from making nests in mine with no harm... :crazy:

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i believe that there is a difference in how the actual fan attaches to the motor. some are pressed on and the others are screwed on iirc. good luck

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

AC/Heavy duty heater fan motors are the same piece.

The fans spin faster, thats the difference.

I'd put a breather of some type over the hole if you can, although if it doesn't get REAL dirty under your hood, you can run it without anything over the hole. My dads had one like this for years. Not wheeled though.

Thats a cooling hole, I wouldn't plug it. Since the fan turns faster, it runs hotter.

7. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the replies.I'd been away from the forum for a few days, and forgot what a great group of people are here.

Should I stick with a GM (or AC Delco?) part or are the Siemens and others quality as well? On the gmpartsdirect website, the part number for the AC blower motor was bad. If you guys think the oem part is the way to go, I'll go to the GM parts place and order it tomorrow. Thanks again guys.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

alot of heavy duty ones were installed factory, even on pickups, certain years and certain systems, just hunt around, i have a few ive stashed away over the years but i stash away std narrower ones too, cuz some a/c boxes wont fit HD fan set

alot of the cars used the HD ones like the 82-92 firebirds camaros caprices, caddies, etc, real common actually, i see more HD ones than not, by far,

really just a gamble

good luck

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't waste my time with a GM piece in that application. It's not hard to change, it's not going to strand you alongside the road, so go with a common parts chain that (preferably) has a lifetime warranty.

Heck, the wrecking yard/private seller would be just as good if they can at least give you money back/another one if it doesn't work. For the age these blower motors are, they don't fail very often.

Besides, at the wrecking yard I see PLENTY of replaced blower motors that have probably less than a year on them. Typically they have some rebuild sticker on them.