Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blower motor fuse blowing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ColAdo82K5, Nov 26, 2004.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

OK, several months ago, my blower motor went out. No problem. Got one at AZ and put it in along with the fuse it blew. Well, I don't use it much, since my AC doesn't work, but now it is winter... so I was using the defrost to help melt/clear my windsheild from several inchs of ice and snow, it worked great for about 10 minutes, but then blew the fuse...

NOW: It will instantly blow the fuse all the time, even when I disconnected the fan, the fuse will still blow.
    What other things are on the blower motor fuse that i should be looking at ? What wiring is most commonly at fault for this to occur ?

Thanks,
    Blake

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I would check the wiring on the switch. The motor is not the issue if the fuze still blew when the motor was un-hooked

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

For the hell of it, I but in a new relay for the blower motor. Same results.
    I'm assuming the wiring you speak of is that behind the HVAC controls in the dash.
    What other items are on that fuse ?
    Blake

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

check for wire chafing
    there is a resistor pack that controls the blower speed that may have shorted but it would be unlikely to get grounded (AC could be different then my non-AC)

I am also fighting a high amp draw blower motor popping fuses lately

could be the switch itself is toasted and grounding
    if it does it with blower disconnected then it aint the blower