Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blower motor relay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, Nov 17, 2005.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

My blower fan works only on "HI". I have heard that I need to replace the relay. Where is it?

2. mikras1

mikras1 Registered Member

You don't say what year your truck is - The relay should be mounted close to the blower housing, maybe even on the housing - passenger side of the engine compartment.

But if Hi works, the relay is probably good because it is only activated for hi.

My guess would be that the Medium2 resistor has gone bad, therby preventing Lo and M1 from working. The resistor pack is also located on the blower housing on the inside in the airflow. You can see where it is attached next to the relay.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Relay is good. Only operates on high. You need to look at your resistor block.

4. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

I pulled out what I thought was the resistor and it was a couple of springs just hanging out inside the fan housing. So which one is the resistor? Can I remove easily from the fan housing? Oh and its an 87 PU without the C45 RPO and without AC

5. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

If I'm reading that correctly, that thing you pulled out with the springs on it IS the resistor. I had to replace it on my 84, very weird looking creature, but thats what you need. Try a local auto parts store, but they probably won't have it. More than likely you'll have to go down to the Chevy dealership Parts Counter to get it. (Thats what I had to do)

However, my blower woudln't work on any of the settings, after replacing the resistor everything works EXCEPT for High. Not really sure whats going on.

6. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

anyone have a part number handy for this item and remember how much it cost? i'm thinking of just hitting up gmpartsdirect.com to save some money on it.

7. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

you can also get them from LMC truck and Chevy Duty.

8. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I had to do the same with mine last year to get the blower working again, But in my case it was a combination of bad wiring, relay, switch,.... I was able to get all the parts from my local O'Reiley's. They had to order the resistor, but it only took a day to get it.

9. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

i found it at advance auto parts under part number RU67, thanks again guys.

10. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Registered Member

My '77 Suburban had the exact same problem, turned out that the switch in the dash was burned up (literally...) :D