Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blower Motor Switch Help.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

My fan speed is all one speed (medium, low, etc...) and does not ever shut off unless i switch the fan speed switch to the High setting then it will shut off; even when i have it switched to the OFF position it still runs. I can have it switched to A/C and then move the speed lever to High then it will shut off. And i already replaced fan relay on the Evaporator box. Any ideas how to make it work properly?

It has done this ever since i have owned the truck about 1 year, not like it just started.

[​IMG] [​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Impex on 04/22/01 04:36 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Mine would work only work on low and medium and would shut off on high... Finally figured out that in Blazers GM ran a separate circuit for the high speed... On my 73 if you are facing the front end there is a fuse next to the fire wall on the back left side next to the ac / blower motor... On mine I ended up cutting the whole thing out and replacing it since the wire was shorted somewhere... My only problem now is that my blower motor still does not blow where you can feel it past about 2 1/2 feet from the vents... Good luck

3. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member

Good to know about that fuse.

It would be nice to have a larger blower for those
    cool topless nights. I wonder if GM made a "Canadian"
    version with extra big heater core, extra big blower motor?

73Jimmy

4. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

kwcdawgfan: Okay, the fuse was good so i followed the wire(black), it goes into the firewall with a red wire i then start to follow it and there both cut. Were do they go so i can hook them back up?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Have know idea on that section... That part of mine I didnt have to fool with and I cant look at it right now since the blazer is in the shop.... Hopefully you will fine matching wires somewhere on the other side... What about pulling the temp control unit out and see if there are any matching wires on the back of it

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Take a look at the back section of a Haynes Manual at the wiring specs, and make sure you're tracing the right wires to begin with. All else fails you can back trace those wires from the component to the firewall and find your break.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

When I first got my 86 the blower would only work on low and med, I found that a seperate ground is used for the high circuit and it is connected under the hood right next to the blower motor.If this ground wire is broken the blower will not operate in the high mode. Also there is a small plate with a plug with wires held on with 2 screws right above it, under ths plate there is 2 wirewound resistors that control the low and med modes of the blower, if either break they will cause the blower not to work on that level...

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They did make one. It was called the "Heavy Duty Heater" and I believe the option code was like HD1 or something. (total guess though) I've got it on my truck. Used a different heater box (in the engine bay) and a different blower motor.

Only used on NON AC trucks though, as the "Heavy Duty Heater" Uses the same motor as the AC trucks. Smaller fan "blade" though. The difference in the box is the duct for the fan motor cooler.

With this option, you can actually feel the defroster blowing air on your FACE while driving. At least twice as powerful as the regular heater blower, and IMO, should have been on EVERY non ac big cab truck. (5's, Suburbs, 3+3)

Gonna have some new pics up soon, thats going to be one of them.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>