Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blower motor tapping noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4xcrazy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I have a 94 Chev/1500 2wd p/u, /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and was curious as to if anyone else has the same deal with the same type of truck happen to them, When you turn the ignition on a tapping noise comes from the blower motor area for about 30 seconds, when you adjust from Max to recirculateed air or vise versa, it will also do this tapping for about 30 seconds, AND when you shut the key off it does this tapping again for about 30 seconds. I can reach down under the dash where the blower motor is, and feel the door flap for the recirculated air and feels like something is actually hitting it, but the tapping is not present when the motor is running at any speed, or even turned off, only at those few times i mentioned earlier. I attempted to pull the dash apart to get to the blower motor and geez, it's a pain and i did not succeed. Any ideas, or same previous problems which were identified? Talk to me peoples... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. clutch

clutch Registered Member

did you check vac lines for heater controls?

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

All vacuum lines are ok, just started doing this out of the blue, just all of the sudden. It does not affect the performance at all of the motor, just annoying and when friends get in the truck that haven't been in it in awhile, they always ask, whats that noise or is this thing going to blow, or is the air bag going to pop out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

any tips also would be greatly appreciated on removing the blower motor, it's not like most other trucks i've done before, this one is partially up under the dash, which is in the way for easy removal, half n half, will post some pics when it arrives back home later this afternoon as to get an idea of what i'm dealing with.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: Blower motor tapping noise *DELETED*

Post deleted by 4xcrazy

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

you can get at the motor without pulling the dash, that is a rubber cover over the blower motor, to remove, pull the glove box assm. out, then you can see the top of the blower motor housing, unplug the wires to the blower motor(2) then flex the rubber cover as needed to remove, if you need to pull the blower motor, remove the screws, then tusn the motor assm so a flat spot is up, then it will just barely squeeze past the dash

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

you may need to remove the kick panel also, its just cliped in

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had my blower motors squeal, never tap. I found the bearing (bronze bushings) get worn and squeal. It could be so worn that the squirrel cage in yours is just tapping the housing.

I found that turning it on to HI, would solve the squeal. This lasted about 6 months before the squeal wouldn't go away.

I never really understood why these were left on ALL the time (atleast on the early years-'73). I still haven't converted mine to actually shut off yet.

Good luck.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah i have heard them squeel, thats when i know they are getting ready to die, but this one isn't squeeling, and like i said before the tapping only happens for about 30 seconds when the key is turned on, off, and the vent flow is changed. Other than those times, it works great on any speed. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    If i can just get the motor out of there, i could see whats causing the problem and probably just change the motor while it out. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had this same problem with his truck...
    Unfortunatly he just lives with it and I haven't a clue how to fix it. At least you aren't alone in your plight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

10. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

It is a switch either on the motor or next to the motor I think. My dad has the samething with his and we found a guy that knew what it was. I am sure he said a switch. I do know that its a $15 part and $200 to $250 labor if you have a shop replace it. I will ask him in the morning exactly what the tapping is. I know its not the blower motor though.