Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blower motor??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Feb 3, 2002.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Hopefully this will be the last of my electrical gremlins for a while. For as long as I can remember whenever I have the heater blower running on full blast, my voltage drops noticably, by about a volt. I'm curious if this is normal or if I possibly have a bad ground/short somewhere. I find it hard to beleive that the blower motor draws that much current. Having my headlight on, running both windows and the rear window doesn't even drop it that much.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

FWIW, my truck has always done the same thing. The colder it gets outside, the worse it gets. I have replaced both the alternator and the fan motor since I've owned the truck, and the truck still acts the same way.

I would assume that the fan motor uses a lot more juice then people realize.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Doesn't the power to the blower motor go through a series of resistors to control fan speed? Maybe that's what causes the draw?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup. It goes through a variable resistor that controls the low or medium fan speed settings...
    When on high it bypasses the resistors and allows full voltage to the blower motor.
    Don't know about that problem though.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.