Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blower motors from canada

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.R., Dec 28, 2003.

1. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i know there are post about replacing your blower motor. what i want to know is, are the blower motors for trucks in canada flow more air then the u.s ones? i thought i read somewhere that they are stronger, move more air. has anyone switched to one of these and if so is it a bolt in or do they pull more juice then usa blowers?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There is a heavy duty heater option, I guess it would be more prevalent in Canada than the US but it wasn't a Canadian only thing.

The blower motors appear to be the same as the ones used on AC vehicles. The blower motor housing (the metal box on the engine side of the firewall) is different, due to the vent that the HD/AC blower motors use. The only difference though is a hole with a fitting screwed into it. Could be retrofitted to any non-AC box I guess.

The HD heater option uses the same plastic fan as the non-HD ones, but the motor spins faster. AC fans won't work on a non-AC application because the fan is physically too deep to fit into the non AC housings.

The heater control head is different on the HD trucks, as is the inner box. HD heater control head has 3 speeds (plus an actual off position) and the upper slider also has an "off" position.

The resistor setup on the heater box (engine side) is different as is the wiring harness. The wiring harness is seperate from the main body harness, so you can swap that out with a donor easily. Can't recall if the resistor cutout on the heater box is different than non-AC. Gut tells me yes, but can't recall for sure.

The box itself is different as well, it doesn't use one of the blend doors that the non-AC units uses. That can be worked around, I just propped mine open.

pic of engine side HD heater setup

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It must have been an 'option' even in Canada. The non AC donor I used has the standard blower motor and it is pretty poor, especially in a K5. I have sealed the box itself and checked for any air leaking, then sealed all the plastic joints under the dash with duct tape and it's marginal at best. I went as far as to check the input voltage at each setting and my current motor does get 14+ volts on high with the motor running...

I'm tempted to get a HD blower motor and see what it takes to retrofit it. After having the AC heater set-up with the HD motor it's pretty hard to accept the air flow I get now.

Rene

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads been running the HD heater blower motor in his truck, with the vent open to the engine bay, for years now.

Personally I'd just put a breather or something on it. I'd be most worried about splashing mud and water in there in a trail rig. In a daily driver, dust is about the only worry. If you need the HD heater, why would you need to worry about keeping the motor cool? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If you need the HD heater, why would you need to worry about keeping the motor cool?

[/ QUOTE ]

good point... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does the Canadian blower motor say, "eh" a lot?

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the Canadian blower motor say, "eh" a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif