Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blower not working, but a/c is?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jshadwick, Jun 10, 2002.

1. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

Hi, just wonderin' if anyone knew what i have going on here:
    I was running my a/c in my '79 , on Max, when it decided to stop working. The funny thing to me is, I still get cold, air conditioned air, IF I am moving at near freeway speeds, as long as I dont have it on MAX; and it feels like the fan is on the low setting, not too powerful. When I come to a stop, the cold air stops. I am thinking something to do with the blower motor. I know little 'bout this stuff. Any suggestions?
    Thankin' y'all in advance
    james

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The blower switches are notorious for going out...do you have any other speed? The switch goes to a relay
    out on the A/C box....you might check/replace that. Last but not least, theer is a "resistor" assembly that monts
    on the side of the A/C evaporator box. It's held on with 2 screws.....pop it out and take a look. It's just a
    couple of resistors that look just like coiled wire.

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the blower motor harness is found by the A/C box under the hood. check for a loose connection around the relay or the wires going to it.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Your blower is not working. Check the other replies for where the harness is and start checking connections before replacing it. When on MAX, the blower recirculates air from inside the cab. On NORM, it pulls in outside air. So, when you are going down the road on NORM, the air you are feeling is simply being "pushed" in from the outside without help of the blower. When you stop, it stops. If you switch to max and it closes the outside vent, the air probably stops as well.

5. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

yep, y'all hit da nail on the head. at least i have something, till I get around to workin' on it. get mighty warm here in Sacramento.
    thanks again
    james