Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blowin black soot

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDELBLAZ, Jan 3, 2001.

1. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

started my k5 up today barely and when it did start this kind of black soot was all over the snow just below the tail pipe needlless to say it was hard to start funny thing was there was no black smoke its a 89 with tbi so i hooked up my code scanner and found nothing what could it be any thoughts

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Im not sure about the hard starting, could be because of the cold. It could just be condensation inside the pipes, I get that in mine every once and a while, it should all blow out in the first minute. It could have been doing it all along but you never noticed because there was no snow. The snow is great for checking out and locating leaks. I'd still get other opnions before writing it off, can't be too sure.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

3. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

Mine does that all the time. I blew black crap all over the kids stroller the other day.. My wife was pissed :)

Phyte

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I worked in a repair garage for company that bought real nice rides for executives when TBI came out. Yawl probably know you don't touch the gas pedal when starting those. Along with that, I recall reading in an owner's manual for one of the new exec's cars, that if it's real cold out, you actually pumped the accelerator (or held it to the floor) when you started them up. Maybe it's normal.... Let's see what everyone else w/ similar s/u's says. I'm leaning towards the post indicating snow showing you crap that always gets spit out.
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

The black soot means to much gas. I'm still messing with my carb and when I put jets in that are to big I blow big time black soot. Covered two one foot areas on the garage door from this. On FI this shouldn't happen unless theirs a problem or you pressed the gas.

Getsome

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

There's a way that can help you figure out what this stuff is. If it its liquid then get a something dry like cardboard or wood and put it on the ground where the crud falls to. Start for a few seconds and turn off the motor and go and check, if its smells gassy, well...I'm thinking its probably gas and if not then its could be condensation.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]