Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blowing Fuse For Gauges

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Dec 17, 2003.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I keep blowing the fuse that is for my gauges. I drive an '85 Fullsize Blazer. It is a carbed 350 with a 700R4. I have looked everywhere for a short but I cannot find anything. Recently I noticed that the fuse blew one time when I turned right. Also, my steering column is EXTREMELY loose. Would that loose steering column have anything to do with me blowing the gauge fuse ? This problem has been ongoing for a long time. It is pissing me off to no end. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Nick

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, loose steering can cause problems with the electrical. Eventually it can cut into the wiring and short to the column.

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

It seems like having a loose steering wheel is pretty common around here. There is a really good right up in the tech. section on how to correct this. Well provided that it is the tilt portion of the column. If the entire column is loose it is the lower mount that is loose, at the bootom of the dash. Niether is too difficult to fix, but the tilt is more of a PTA than the later. Having a loose steering column could and most likely is pinching a wire and caused a short, especailly as it usually happen when you turn corners. Check your harness coming out of the column and all around the column. First thing fist though, tighten your steering so that you have control. Safty hazard!! Good Luck. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status