Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blowing fuses in the 96***update 011804***

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok, i found a 15 amp fuse in the cig lighter slot. it controlls my PDL and lumbar compressor. i put a 20 amp fuse in it. it poped half a day later. then i tried a 25 amp fuse. it also poped. i wont go any higher, so i need to find the problem. do the relays go out a lot in this year?
    thanks.
    Grant

found the problem, have yet to fix it cus im lazy.
    ended up being a pair of wires that have been chewn through by a small dog. not all the way, but enough to short out from time to time.
    Grant

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Blowing fuses in the 96

power door locks and lumbar compressor ran off a cigarette lighter fuse?..stop putting the upped amperage fuses in..buy yourself what's called a "circuit tester" that goes in place of a fuse and beeps when a short is found.. then start unplugging power door lock actuators and the lumbar compressor, one at a time, to narrow down which circuit is blowing the fuse, then trace from there..

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i hate wires...
    ok, ill give it a shot. as for the fuses, yeah.. they are all labled funny. its the factory setup. it is a snow bird truck. all stock except for the air gate tailgate, exhaust, and PRISTINE maint. records.
    thanks for the info.
    hopefully i find it easy....
    Grant

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My 92 was doing the same thing. It was blowing the domelight and stereo fuse. It would blow before I could even completely get it in the slot! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Evena 30 amp would blow that fast. I finally said [darn] it and took it to the mechanic. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 92 was doing the same thing. It was blowing the domelight and stereo fuse. It would blow before I could even completely get it in the slot! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Evena 30 amp would blow that fast. I finally said [darn] it and took it to the mechanic. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the same issue in my 92, but it has been to cold to troubleshoot. What was the problem with your's?

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

No idea. I finally got pissed and took it to the mechanic to be looked at. He;s had it since Monday and hasn't looked at it yet. If it isn't fixed by Saturday, I'm just gonna drive the POS like it is till it burns to the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif