Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blowing fuses? no dash or tail lights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Feb 13, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok just got my blazer back on the road again, new tranny converter, fly wheel , radiator, and tranny cooler, running great then the night i got it done, i went to turn on my lights heard a snap, and bright flash under dash, no dash lights, or tail lights, went through 8 fuses one right after the other, checked all wires under dash found noting rubbing a bare, when i took off my exhaust and intalled it again could i have got in to any wires causing this prob, or is something just burnt out on it, i love driving it dash lights dont bother me, but have to have running lights cops suck around here /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It sounds like you have a "short" in your wiring....
    I'd start by inspecting the wires...
    you may have a bare spot in the wiring...
    I've had that happen.... around the crossmember.....and around the taillights.

Do you have headlights and marker lights?
    If you don't....look at the switch.

Good luck.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The tail lights and dash lights are on the same circuit.
    The tail lights are grounding out somewhere.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Do you have a trailer hitch with wiring? If you do check that wiring its more likely to be causing a problem than factory stuff. I had this same problem for a long while then I found that my trailer wiring harness wires were pinched between the body and my tailgate hinge and grounding. Pulled them out of there and haven't had a single problem since.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I second the trailer lights grounding out....a very common problem, your exhaust may have burnt through them or something...

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

wow! i'm not alone! I have been very irritated with the exact problem for 2-3 weeks now. The difference with mine is that I can put a new fuse in and everything will work fine anywhere from 1-10 minutes and then pop /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. The brake lights come on when I step on the pedal and the turn signals come on when I hit the switch, but no running/parking lights. When I turn the headlightson the interior light under the dash comes on, but the others stay off, when I turn the interior lights on the one under the dash turns off, either way there are no dash lights. It will even do that when it is sitting still, so I wouldn't think that it is a wire rubbing being that nothing is moving. All bulbs are new and there is no trailer wiring. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. bear

bear Registered Member

Had the exact same problem on my 83...I checked all my bulbs, sockets, even replaced the headlight switch.....I worked on it for 2 or 3 weeks and finally had enough an took it into an electrical repair shop. For around $50 the guy checked all my wires behind the dash and found many loose connections and located a wire that was rubbed on the dash frame and shorted out. No problems since.....

8. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

dude i know the feeling...and have yet to find the problem
    i have become good at changing fuses in the dark on the side of road...i have looked and looked and looked, but have not found any rubbing wire...replaced with light swicth
    the blikers twice...reiwred the lights the horn the dash lights..the radio..the speakers....
    ALSO THE GAS GAUGE NO LONGER WORKS

IF YOU FIND ANYTHING OUT LET ME KNOW /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check and make sure you didn't pinch any wires between the engine and bell housing when you had it apart. Real easy to do.

10. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hey man, I had the exact same trouble once.
    turned out to be the liscence plate llight that was the short- the light had gotten water in it. that allowed the tail lights to come on but the dash lights still didnt work. Turns out that the short in the light also caused the circuit board behind the inst panel to burn.
    hope this helps...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I found out I had the problem when I was pulled over for no taillights, funny thing was the cop pulled me over literally 100 yards from my driveway. Mine was like that too where I could put a fuse in and run for a couple minutes then it popped. Sometimes it popped right away other times it took a bit. I replaced the headlight switch, bulbs, checked under dash wires, and finally checked my trailer wiring to discover it pinched between the hinge.