Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BLOWING HEAD LIGHTS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rugger03, Nov 13, 2000.

1. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I have blown the low beam on the passenger side headlight three times in the last month, anyone have any ideas where to start looking for problems? i realize i probally have a short some where. Any help will be appreciated. thanks, erik

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Is it a 2 or 4-headlight system? If you were blowing other lights, I would assume that was a voltage regulator problem. Since it seems limited to just this one, let's bring up some mechanical possibilities:

-Is it possible that the light is not tight in it's mount and is being allowed to vibrate?
    -Is your tire iron or jack handle stored on that side? If so, can it slide forward when you hit the brakes and impact with the light?

Does the light ever come on or off while you're driving or flare up (get brighter)?

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i have a two light system, and the light does not seen to be vibrating in the mount. No jack in the front to hit it and i have not noticed it surging before going out. i guess that leaves the voltage regulator. would that cause me to blow fuses if it was bad? Dumb question i know the answer. if it is the voltage regulator why wouldn't the other one blow to? thanks.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Try following the wires until you find the ground for that light. Disconnect it and take a wirebrush to the terminal end and the body where it hooks up. Reassemble and see what happens. I'm thinking you may have an intermittent ground; this caused a problem for a friend of mine on his car. The constant changing of grounded/not grounded was causing the lights to burn out frequently.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>That would be my vote, a bad ground possibly. I would clean up all of the grounds on the headlights, sometimes more that one. Also, how does the connector that plugs into the back of the bulb look? If it looks corroded, I would clean it up and maybe put some kind of lubricant on it, grease maybe? - Steve[/blue}

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html