Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blowing out blinker fuses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigdaddy89, Sep 21, 2000.

1. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

For some apparent reason my blazer has started to blow out the blinker fuse when I turn on the blinker. I went through and checked all the wiring and couldn't find any problems. I also lost the fuse that alarms you when you have left your lights on. I managed to get them to work tonight, but they have a funny blink to them, not normal. Blinking kind of fast. Has anybody ran into this before? It's an 89.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Could be the flasher relay. Its the big silver box on the fuse panel. I dont know you could have a short to grnd. the wires that bundle all the way to the rear lights. There is a harness that wraps from the fire wall to the frame( drivers side). See if your frame or any piece of metal has sheared into them. My fuel pump went on the fritz 'cause of this. In turn, started to sizzle my flasher relay whenever the cab shook. My $0.02 hope it helps.

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Jesus H Pete.....if i remember from trail 42 by light of a flashlight the your wiring up front is less than stellar...lol. Email me direct with an email addy you use at home and maybe i'll volunteer some of my weekend and fix your problem for you dingus...lol. Sunday is now the CC run...what are you doing?

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

4. bigdaddy89

azblazer, I'm not going on the crown king run Sun. It takes to long to get to the fun stuff, plus it is to easy. We are going out on Sat. night or Sun morning, but we haven't decided. Let me know if you are going on that run for sure.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a similar probelm not too long ago. I found a bare wire in the rear where it goes through the frame behind the bumper...
    I couln't use m signals, hazards or horn!

I blew a few flasher unit also!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. bigdaddy89

Mike,

Were you blowing the fuse or the big silver thingy? I started searching for the some exposed wires in the rear for a while, but got sidetracked and added another rock light under the truck. I might as well take advantage of the opportunity if I'm under there to add another toy.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was blowing both! First the fuse blew and one side fo the flasher, then the whole thing went. So I replaced both and kept blowing fuses and flashers until I found my bare wire.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Since i only pulled down 30 hours two weeks in a row i am going to work saturday...overtime all day for me @ allmost 32 bux an hour i need the shot in the arm....lol. Don't know if i'll be up to wheelin at a late hour...just started M-F...and starting M they put me on a noon to 830p shift...my body clock is way out of wack! Depends on if i plan to work sunday also to get an early start on the o/t for the next week. Think i'll just hang out with Moose so he doesn't foul anything up....JK ...Moose.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

9. bigdaddy89

OK, now I noticed last night that when I hit the brake the fasten seat belt light comes on. When I let off it goes away. Where do I start the mission? HELP!

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Change of plans...will be 10 miles due north of lake pleasant proper via Humbug creek sat afternoonish...visiting an old ghosttown i used to frequent....you have my cell number and i'll leave the CB on channel 2....call me as i don't have your number Dave.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban