Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blowing up Taillights!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lew, Jun 9, 2000.

1. lew

lew Registered Member

Hello again.
    Here is the latest Problem with my 86 K5

My blazer seems to want to blow up the Bulbs in the rear end.
    The bulbs that blow are the two electrode, main light/brake light. The big one. The bulbs are not just burning out, they completely blow up, shattered glass and all, both sides. This is happening fairly frequently now. I check the bulb socket but do not seem to get a spike during the brief period of time that I have a multi-meter to the socket.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Never heard of this before.I would check the voltage at the socket or maybee the ground.Don't real like to deal with the electrical if I don't have too.I get my buddy to deal with it.Are you getting them wet when this happens?Could be the hot to cold thing.Brady

3. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Could water be getting inside the lens?If it's raining or something(at night when the lights are on all the time)and the water was to hit the hot bulbs they would explode like that.Just a thought,I know the gaskets on My lenses are pretty much rotten.

<font color=purple>http://cblazer81.coloradok5.com</font color=purple>

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

That is weird, never heard of that. Is there any chance you could get a good reading from the electrical system? Hook up a good meter and see if you are getting any surges?
    Is everything else working ok?

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

I know this might sound stupid but it happened to me once. Check to make sure you are putting 12v globes in there and not 6v ones. I bought a pack of globes once and had that "exploding" glass thing untill I finally got around to checking the actual printing on the globe. Just a thought.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !