Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BLOWN 350 TRANNY UPHILL & WHAT CAUSED IT?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sinchphoto, Apr 22, 2002.

1. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

my buddy's truck 83 with 305/350/208.
    uphill on the highway 70mph. Tranny fluid gushing out of the back of it. Between the tranny and t-case adaptor. The rear u joint at the t-case was also busted. but its hard to say what broke first the tranny or the u joint. Im sure one caused the other to break but In what order did this happen? any similar situations out there guys? or ideas?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the TH350 is weaker than a 350. that is about all you can say. It usually has catasrophic failures like that. I snapped mine into two pieces. I am purchasing a third TH350 and it have owned the truck for 2 years/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

"the TH350 is weaker than a 350"

hmmmm. 350 engine?

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Same happened to a abuddy on mine in a 2door yukon

A bad u-joint can cause enough driveline vibration to crack the transfercase, or anything else connected firmly. Just think about how many revolutions that drive shaft is making.

After that happened to my friend, I now replace my u-joints every 6 months!

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

He had a 305 and not a 350. I really don't think th350's are weaker than a 350sb. I think when they get worn out they get vunerable but not a th350 in decent condition. It could of been the u-joint and the vibration caused it to start leaking or something along that line.